Notices

Powerless to stop?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Powerless to stop?

Hi all,

I see many newcomers posts mentionning I can't stop, I'm powerless etc.

Was thinking personally. If a child with cancer finds the strengh to fight, if people phisically impaired someday walk, if a human can lift a car to save his child when it's "impossible" to lift a car... Feel free to add examples.

Then why would it be impossible to stop your addiction? Difference is that the father lifting the car to save his child does not think, analyse, doubt or question if it's possible. He just does it. Maybe we over analyse our capacity for victory.

And for those spiritual, why would god that loves us so much want to make us powerless? I think he did exactly the contrary, like his son, he gave us the infinitr control over our lives out of love. Problem is for some is that he also gave us free choice.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is possible, but the addicts voice/symptom of the addiction is to make excuses.

The only option is to cut it off at source. Cut the supply and let your rational brain make the choices.

As a child I was always challenged when I said 'I can't'. Also when I said 'I wish'

I wished I could learn the guitar and was told it wasn't a wish at all. I just had to go and learn! A wish is wishing I was not short!!

It is not the strongest if the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change - Charles Darwin

S x
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sazzle, makes makes total sense!

I was also thinking.

God created the Atom but not the Atomic Bomb.
God created the particules required but not the Alcohol.

Conclusion, god gave us free will to destroy ourselfves. He can only watch us make the choices. Like quitting drinking. He won't do it for us, only watch like a father would his son about to hurt himself. God won't remove the Atomic Bomb, same for Alcohol.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was going to say the same Sazzle... excuses. I had a ton of them. I wrote a post about it a bit back. It was contact with other alcoholics which cut through the crap so to speak.

It is addiction itself which makes you feel powerless. I will never forget the first day I didn't have a drink and knew I wouldn't again. I think it was the first time I ever had hope. That probably sounds a bit over dramatic but alcohol really did suck the will to live out of me.

With the whole powerless thing, we are not powerless, we are just powerless over alcohol. Once I accepted that and stopped trying to control it things got a lot better. When I was still fighting that I had no chance. I think acceptance is a massive part of recovery x
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only power I have is the choice in not having a first drink.

Being an Atheist, living in a cold, indifferent and uncaring universe...my power comes solely from within.

I respect the fact that I cannot control the effect alcohol has over my choices once it enters my body...so I do not drink.

Ever
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not all the damage of addiction is physical or evident.

I still remember what it was like...my addiction ate away at my self esteem...made me feel like I and my situation was hopeless...but it also worked on the fact that I was scared to death of change.

I felt both incapable & unworthy of and terrified by change.

I'm glad I found this place and found people to show me that there was a different way - there was still hope

D
Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm stubborn by nature. The very idea that a liquid beverage would control my life is infuriating, but yet i let it happen.
I quit drinking by taking control of MY Life, i'm driving and directing how i live for the most part.
In sobriety, ive rediscovered some self confidence and self esteem, i smile more and I know that my religious beliefs help me, God is love, not fear.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dts

We are not powerless to anything. We choose our actions and as a result suffer from some of them.
In my opinion, when we decide to quit, we are taking our power back.
I know many slip into addiction without noticing it. We don't really pay attention until it's done.

After we decide to accept and face our problem, addiction to alcohol or drugs, we must never use the words 'I can't quit' they are self defeating!
We all know we can't pick back up. But to say 'I can't quit' is a weakness that we must face and overcome in ourselves. We have to believe in ourselves.
Sometimes, as in my case, we have no real close family or friends for support.
We have to go it alone, accept for meetings where we get support, and help to see it is very possible to remain sober and control our desire to use/drink.

After just over a year now, I know there's nothing I can't do. It's up to me if I set limitations on myself. I live life on lifes terms and am able to find true happiness in doing so.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I have never found the concept of powerlessness helpful in my own recovery either. For me it has always been about empowerment.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was powerless when I came to AA... and if I continued on the path I was on I would continue to be powerless.

My power to get and remain sober when everything else failed came when I surrendered to the AA program. In surrendering I was reborn.

My very best efforts and thinking got me to the doors of AA with a gun in my hand. I had to get a new manager and begin to change my thinking.

If you find yourself deep in a hole..... quit digging.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too, have found strength and motivation/determination on focusing on empowerment, not being powerless. Everyone has their own things that work for them though.
I believe it is in my power to stop and stay stopped, and also to drink and continue to drink. As hard as one choice may be, it is still a choice...lie what you were saying about freechoice, ThePatMan. I believe I have power to make more wise decisions than I have in the past. God wont do it for me. He can help and support me, but in the end it is up to me to accept support and listen to my HP, and go from there.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I believe that one must be empowered when applying themselves to anything.

I am certainly powerless once I drink. But empowered to keep myself sober and safe.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think that anyone has a disease or is powerless. If you can put a drink to your lips you have the power to stop doing so.

I think the powerlessness concept just confuses people. Whatever programme you choose, give yourself credit for having the power to rise to the challenge.