Notices

Day 7 and a night out...

Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nov.23, 2012

Day 7 and a night out...

Well, it's day seven and starting to feel better...4,5 and 6 were harder than 1,2,3. For me it's the routine at the end of the work day and the thinking about it during the day...then on the way home not stopping to get drinks.

I am finding it hard. Still thinking about drinking all the time and almost slipped last night...thinking well soon it will be Christmas and that will be really hard, maybe I should make this a New Years resolution. This week I realized, I like how I feel better after drinks...but I know that is not me talking and I keep reminding myself that I will feel worse in the morning after I drink than how good I will feel in the moment.

Good news is, tonight I went out with coworkers for dinner and drinks. I had two bottles of water, nobody asked me anything, I did not have to say anything, that part was easy...although part of me wanted to run away to drink by myself at home.

This truly is a beast...
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In rational recovery, there is a technique called addiction diction where you replace your thoughts or statements about alcohol with the I and it pronouns. It is fun to do and illustrates the battle between "I" the higher functioning person and "it" aka The Beast of addiction. I went ahead and rewrote yours as best as I could tell. I always find it illuminating to see how IT tries to lead me astray. Maybe it will help you too

Well, it's day seven and starting to feel better...4,5 and 6 were harder than 1,2,3. For IT it's the routine at the end of the work day and ITs thinking about it during the day...then on the way home not stopping to get drinks.

IT's finding it hard. (IT's) Still thinking about drinking all the time and almost slipped last night...thinking well soon it will be Christmas and that will be really hard, (IT THINKS) maybe I should make this a New Years resolution. This week IT realized, IT likes how I feel better after drinks...but I know that is not me talking and I keep reminding myself I that I will feel worse in the morning after I drink than how good I will feel in the moment.

Good news is, tonight IT went out with coworkers for dinner and drinks. I had two bottles of water, nobody asked IT anything, IT did not have to say anything, that part was easy...although part of IT wanted to run away to drink by ITSELF at home.

This truly is a beast...
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That really works!! - thinking of it rather than I - I'm a stronger than it !

Thanks for words - very helpfull :-))
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nov.23, 2012

Thanks Eumenides, that is a great help. Rational Recovery and AVRT make a lot of sense to me so what you did is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do that, much appreciated.

On to day 8...I am happy it's 8 days.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like that as well.