Notices

Hi ho it's off to work I go?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi ho it's off to work I go?

About 12 years now I have worked in a field I don't like. I never liked it but the pay is there. My drinking had remained pretty static over the years until last year when I started for the first time drinking before and even during work at times. I was alone in the office a lot around the holidays and that only worsened things. During my 20 minute lunch breaks I would often cry in the woods next door, try like hell to eat, to try and shake off the anxiety, fight off the urge to vomit. I guess the anxiety had just been building up over the years doing something that is not only stressful but well...that I hate. This mind you was all when I had a brand new car, my license, no pending jail time, nor probation or court ordered counseling. Well...long story short all that has changed as a result of a dwi (no accident/no one injured). I have not been to work since the beginning of Sept. I stopped drinking recently and am just wondering how realistic it would be for me to be able to jump back in providing I even had the option. Quitting drinking was easy, it's the thought of going back into that office that is the hard part...knowing there will be no release whatsoever when I get home.
Thanks for listening.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!!!

Quiting drinking is easy. I've done a thousand time. Staying quit is a little different. I'm in no position to give advice to anyone. I had much the same situation a couple years ago. I decided no job or salary is worth that amount of misery and anxiety. YMMV.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd imagine it would set of some drinking triggers but lots of things would do that. I'd also imagine that seeing that you'd been there for 12 years then it can't have been that bad. Maybe it will be much better now you're sober? Drinking took the joy out of many things for me. Regarding 'release' when you get home... you don't need alcohol to help you tolerate anything... more likely is that you had to drink when you got home because you're an alcoholic Of course the association might give you a craving after your first day back but you don't need to drink, maybe have a nice cup of tea and a hot bath. There are other ways to unwind after a hard day x
Old 11-28-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I say give it hell and go back. Rock your work, be proud even if people know about your issue. I even told my management. I walk proud at the office, because what I have accomplished is for me, not for anyone else.

Be proud, stay proud and kick a... At work ;-)
And DON'T stress, do one thing at a time, if like me you will end up producing more then ever.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some issues to consider here. First of all, you sound like you're not entirely sure you can go back? Hopefully you will be able to. Also, there is the issue of making a living. It could be very stressful if you're without work and no way to support yourself. Maybe it would be better to go back to your old job and then look for something else while you are working?