Notices

Questions about AA meetings

Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about AA meetings

I am looking for meetings in my area. I know there are open and closed meetings. Can I walk into a closed meeting? How does one go to a closed meeting? I prefer the most private way possible and feel a closed meeting is safer for that than an open one.

I also see something on one list called NOW. What is this(unless maybe it is a local group that hosts meetings). If I decide to try meetings, I do not want to walk into the wrong one.

Thanks,

Ro
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholics Anonymous :
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Call and ask them what it is about.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You can not walk into a wrong meeting. Closed means "People who have a desire stop drinking." Open means anyone, "Typically people that are supporting people in recovery and people that have a desire to stop." Have no idea about NOW
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Call your local helpline rochele,they will be able to answer all your questions.

No idea what NOW stands for,will be interesting to find out.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have found two resources fr meetings. One has codes and a legend, so I can figure that out fine. I will use that list. The other is through "In the Rooms" website and some meetings have a name of the church, others have NOW, or College, or Hope or Happy Destiny, but some of those are at the same address for a church. There is no phone number associated with these.

I have enough choices on the one that is easy to figure out!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NOW is probably the name for the group. Most groups have a name.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Rochele, it doesn't matter much which meeting you pick, you will meet some very kind and generous people. Just go, and it will sort itself out.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not sure, but thinking about it. I really feel like I want to meet some sober people for support, but do not see myself doing the 12 steps or having the time for having to do 3 meetings a week, or daily meetings, etc... Are you welcome if you have no desire to do the 12 steps? Of course, I may change my mind, once there. I am not closed minded, but I have the Big Book, and have read it over the years. Just not sure it fits me and my values. I have a church, I am very spiritual and prayerful. But I want to meet people like me, have the social connections to sober people. All my friends ever do is entertain with wine and beer. It is boring to watch everyone drink and not do it. And to have to say no over and over. I just want it off the table!

Maybe my motives for going are wrong. I want sober friends. I am so lonely. It is something I need to fix in my life ot stay sober.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. There are many who use AA for the fellowship but AA is so much more. AA's are the nicest people you will ever meet and could not care less about your motivations for meetings.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i got into AA 7+ years ago. the maintenence of my spiritual condition led me to church. i ove the poeplein the church, but there are things on my mind that i bring up and they look at me like im an alien. i bring the same things up with my friends in AA and they know exactly what im talkin about.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

search:

AA city state

and look for .org at the end. call the intergroup office and ask them about your local meetings.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I am not sure, but thinking about it. I really feel like I want to meet some sober people for support, but do not see myself doing the 12 steps or having the time for having to do 3 meetings a week, or daily meetings, etc... Are you welcome if you have no desire to do the 12 steps? Of course, I may change my mind, once there. I am not closed minded, but I have the Big Book, and have read it over the years. Just not sure it fits me and my values. I have a church, I am very spiritual and prayerful. But I want to meet people like me, have the social connections to sober people. All my friends ever do is entertain with wine and beer. It is boring to watch everyone drink and not do it. And to have to say no over and over. I just want it off the table!

Maybe my motives for going are wrong. I want sober friends. I am so lonely. It is something I need to fix in my life ot stay sober.

You are absolutely welcome. Keep your open mind. It made a huge difference for me.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me, I went to many many meetings at
various locations and times. Whatever fit
in my life schedule and routine. Whatever
I needed to help me stay sober each day.

Each and every meeting added something
extra to my own recovery. It was the people,
fellowship, hearing the messages of hope,
encouragement, willingness, love, care, support.

If I went to any lengths to get a drink, alcohol,
poison, then I went to any lengths to get a meeting
not worrying what kind it was. Just as long it was
a safe haven with abundance of recovery support
and a place to feel wanted, needed. Belong to.

Going to meetings resulted in living a healthy,
happy, honest, sober life for 22 yrs now.