Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
November 25, 2012

A.A. Thought For The Day
I am not so envious of other people, nor am I so jealous of other people’s possessions and talents. When I was drinking, I was secretly full of jealousy and envy of those people who could drink normally, who had the love and respect of their families, who lived a normal life and were accepted as equals by their friends. I pretended to myself that I was as good as they were, but I knew it wasn’t so. Now I don’t have to be envious any more. I try not to want what I don’t deserve. I’m content to live with what I have earned by my efforts to live the right way. More power to those who have what I have not. At least, I’m trying. Have I got rid of the poison of envy?

Meditation For The Day
“My soul is restless till it finds its rest in Thee.” A river flows on, until it loses itself in the sea. Our spirits long for rest in the Spirit of God. We yearn to realize a peace, a rest, a satisfaction that we have never found in the world or its pursuits. Some are not conscious of their need, and shut down the doors of their spirits against the spirit of God. They are unable to have true peace.

Prayer For The Day
I pray that I may feel the divine unrest. I pray that my soul may find its rest in God.

(Twenty-Four Hours a Day) Hazelden Foundation 2012
Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I long for that peace and rest. I am finding it during my waking hours, but at night insomnia kicks in. I am filled with a fear and anxiety that will not respond to prayer. Working through the steps is giving me so much during the day. I am quiet and reflective and strong. At night this all leaves me and I am once again lost.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I would be lying if I said that envy doesn't come up for me now and then. It was a strong character defect of mine. I have to remember that it is only myself that I need to worry about, not anyone else and what skills and talents they may possess. I can only be who I can be, and strive to be the best at it, with God's Grace. I also have to remember I don't know everyone's story, so those people with so-called "perfect" lives are usually struggling in some way too. I pray for them, and am also happy for those who I was previously envious of.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

This reading really means a lot to me. Envy played a huge part in my life. Still does, but not to the extent that it did. Like Paul said, I would be lying if I said I still wasn't envious of others. It's one of my biggest character defects. Comparing my situation to others, wondering why I don't have what they have. Comparing myself to my peers and my family members is what I did. The more I think about it, the more I realize it is all about material objects. I am not usually envious of someone's spirituality.

I guess I need to focus more on God and spirituality. That is something I can attain in this part of my life. If I concentrate on that, the other things will fall into place. Thinking about it right now, God has always provided exactly what I have needed at any given moment. Yeah, it might not be the things I want, necessarily, but I have always been taken care of as far as food, shelter, and even small luxuries. It is also said that God won't give you any more than you can handle at any given time. I find that more true than anything.

God Bless and have a nice day, everyone.