Notices

Driving my sister home...

Old 11-22-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Driving my sister home...

Just had the pleasure (or disgust) of driving my plastered sister home from Thanksgiving dinner...It honestly made me cringe at just how drunk she was.

Reminded me of, ME. Starting to drink early in the day, drinking as much as possible, and being the drunkest person at the gathering. Thinking what I was doing was "cute" and "fun" (she was blasting and dancing ridiculously to 'N Sync and Backstreet Boys albums from the 90's, mind you she now 30). I finally am beginning to see an outsider's point of view.

The ride home was even more interesting...the rambling, the slurring, the SMELL. Like I said, it reminded me of ME!

I honestly cannot wait to get to my meeting tonight.

God Bless.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry It is tough. But at least it was not you.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

That is what is called a "God Shot."

Getting to see in sobriety how we used to be, and being able to honestly say:

"There but for the Grace of God/HP go I."

Enjoy your meeting!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 11-22-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

I'm a blackout drinker and I can't imagine what I put my friends and family through. I used to go to clubs 3 times a week and I don't know what my friends had to put up with but I know I'd probably be dead or at the very least woken up in a ditch most nights if it weren't for them baby sitting me and getting me home. And I never realized how insanely annoying drunk people are until I've seen it sober from the other side.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thats one of the ways I learn to forgive myself and others and accept myself and others as they are.

Glad your ok.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good reminder, but sorry it happened. Never fun to see anyone like that, let alone a family member.
I'm so happy I don't do that to myself any more. Wondering if anyone notices me filling up my wine glass again and again.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great point, Nogard. Ferneceman, the perspective you got from this experience can help to move you forward in your recovery. And, hopefully your sister will follow your example.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thank you all for your ongoing support and encouragement. It really means a lot.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

God love ya, Fernaceman. I got to see a big ole dose of "old me" at a wedding recently. It was u-g-l-y. Great job standing firm and getting through a major holiday. Very proud of you - keep up the fantastic work!! Hugs, NBC
Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ahhh...seeing others through sober eyes, odd I know. That used to be me..sigh, drunk,.in my 30's=not cute and I am pretty sure being drunk was never a good look on me!!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

she seems like fun
Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

It may sound selfish, but during the time I quit for 2 years, I actually found myself needing people like your sister to show me how disgusting drunks really are. Nothing worked better to keep me sober. Naturally, it's sad for anyone to be that way, but it sure was an effective deterrent for me. During those 2 years, I worked with a bunch of drunks who were always making idiots of themselves.

That said, glad it wasn't you!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Its not selfish GetMeOut, but it is a reality check
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yeah...no, not good. I have dealt with my sister like that too. I've watched her go from laughing to sobbing and back again in seconds. I sat with her while she ranted in the ER on a Baker Act, just as she did for me years prior. Same hospital, same scenario, we had just switched places on the gurney. It's such a weird and sad thing watching a drunk when you used to be one.

Wait tho...Ridiculous dancing long past age 30 by a non-intoxicated person actually IS funny and cute. At least that's what I like to tell myself
Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Ohhh the Baker Act...That happened to me 'bout a year ago. I didn't even know that was possible until it did. I was not happy, to say the least.

Never a good idea to try to resist your way out of that one. Woke up a full 24 hours later after being tranquilized into submission.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am sorry it is so tough. I remember as a kid hearing this crazy sound at night. My dad had parked the car in the yard. I got him in which wasn't easy and then drove the cat to the garage. First time I had driven I was about 12. Probably when my care taking really kicked in. Hard to know what to do sometimes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by fernaceman
Never a good idea to try to resist your way out of that one. Woke up a full 24 hours later after being tranquilized into submission.
Yeah...no...they don't play.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Others can be an important reminder of how far we've come. It is also a reminder of all it takes is picking up our DOC one time to end up back there.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Maylie View Post
Others can be an important reminder of how far we've come. It is also a reminder of all it takes is picking up our DOC one time to end up back there.
How very true.

Thanks again for your comments everyone.

Have a good night and God Bless!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Yeah....I've been that drunkest person at the party far too many times. I am thankful that I don't remember the details, but unfortunately every else does. Here's hoping I don't add to the list of places I probably won't ever be invited back to...