Notices

Coming off Suboxone

Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming off Suboxone

I have been on Suboxone for a year and a half. I have to drive 4 hours each way once every two months. I had been using painkillers for 10+ years and had a major problem for the last 2 of them. I got to my breaking point and thought that suboxone would be the best option.If I knew then what I know now, i would have probably just gone to treatment.
I received a letter from my Doctor last week that he was leaving his practice within the month and i would have to use what I have left to taper down.
I have myself down to 2mg a day which doesnt do much but keeps me from having withdrawels. I really want to be done with all of it. I tried to come
off of the suboxone one time before and it was hell, i ended up relapsing. Way worse than any painkiller withdrawels. I am going to try to make it to X-mas break at college and take a couple weeks off of work and hope for the best. I have a huge support system and really want to get back to normal and not be dependent on anything.
If anyone has any advice for coming off of the suboxone successfully i would greatly appreciate your help.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hopefully he gave you a taper schedule. Many doctors have you jump at 2mg, but personally I would try to get down to like .25mg a day and even skip a day in there if you can. Your anxiety is going to probably be through the roof so if you can get some exercise, eat right, and drink lots of water that will help. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So far I can say. Low, lower and slowly lower the dosages. I just went 5 days and dosed .25mgs. On day 3 again and so far so good. I think this can be accomplished.(Tapering with minimal w/d's) I have yet to read a total success story.
Been tapering a year now. Hopefully you have enough subs to taper. If not,can you find another doctor. If not Marcus's suggestions sound right to me. Best to you, let us know how it's going.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just in my personal experience, I think Marcus has great advice. Low and slow with this stuff was the way I personally was able to successfully taper off with minimal symptoms. It has now been over 3 months. .25 was what I came down to also, then the jump from there wasn't awful awful. I experienced severe anxiety and exhaustion but it was SO worth it. Taking time off from work is a great idea, that way you can limit the outside stressors you would otherwise be exposed to.