Notices

Medication

Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medication

Is anyone on medication for withdrawls and or cravings? If so, would you mind sharing??
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi kmick, im not on meds from my doc,, but i do take vitamins,, l-glutamine for muscle help, and kudzu which is an anti craving herbal vit,, its been used for centuries in china, and for me it really works!!
i get it from health shops, or you can order it online,, cost bout£10 for a months supply(cheaper than booze) , and i swear by it,, and as its totally herbal no harm done, worth a try, also if i have trouble sleeping, i sometimes take a coulpe of valerian tabs, again herbal, and all are non addictive,, so hope this helps,, but please ask the herbalist for advice,, and let me know how it goes,
lv and hugs x x cleo xx
Old 11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kmick0871 View Post
Is anyone on medication for withdrawls and or cravings? If so, would you mind sharing??
Hi kmick,

I am new to this forum, not new to recovery. IMO before you go any further in questioning medications, I would suggest you seek out a addiction counselor or doctor. Everyone is different--what works for one might not for another, your Doctor will know what's best if you need help in that area. That is JMO, though.

Speaking from my own experience when I stopped drinking I became deeply depressed and sought out Professional help. It was discovered I had Dysthymia or a low grade depression (probably what started me drinking for self medication). I was prescribed an antidepressant , but only under my Doctors supervision and regular blood testing for regulating dosage.

I would suggest you try nothing until you speak to your own Doctor. You are one of a kind, as we all are. Again that IMO!

Congratulations on finding the right path. You have found plenty of good people to talk you through this.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup, have been on Antabuse, Campral, and Naltrexone at one time or another. Found Campral and Naltrexone together to be helpful.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not used any medication, but I want to welcome you.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with jennikate, I have found Naltrexone and Campral together to be the most successful for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi kmick - welcome

I'm with Trix on this one - I understand you want opinions but whats worked for others may not work or be suitable for you, or others reading here.

I'd see your Dr and get a professional opinion on what you may or may not need

D
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Yes I was just seeing what options were available. I'm currently prescribed gabapentin originally for my pinched nerve but because I have experienced seizures from withdrawals before my doc decided I should try it for other symptoms as well. So far so good.the first day I wasn't taking it and the anxiety was almost unbearable. Thanks all and sending positive thoughts.