Notices

Clumsy

Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clumsy

Just slammed my finger in the kitchen door, really hurts! Yesterday I sliced into my thumb with a sharp kitchen knife whilst chopping (doesn't hurt anymore but will see if I need stitches when I redress the wound tonight). Anyway I'm clumsy and doddery and feeling a bit drunk if I'm honest. I can't walk straight & keep scraping walls. It's not like me.

Is this normal?

S x
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I first stopped for a number of weeks I would trip on stairs, and walked into closed doors more than once, and I seemed to be in a haze. I think my mind was so focused on wanting a drink that everything else was on the back burner. I don't think it would hurt to talk to your doc though just in case it's got not to do with withdrawls or recovery at all.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was thinking the same thing, I am more clumsy sober than drunk...LOL!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks you two. I think it's just the adjustments. I've read about PAWS but not sure if it's that.

I'll keep an eye on it and see my Dr if it gets worse

S x
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm clumsy anyway but I was a little more clumsy in early recovery.

I soon regained my regular standard of clumsiness tho, so try not to worry about it too much

D
Old 11-04-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. It's good to know! It's just difficult trying to remain positive when I'm nursing my thumb and now finger! I'm having an early night to stay safe!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't fall out of bed. LOL I've done that before and it actually hurts more than going face first into a door!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's pretty much par for the course Sazzle. The cenral nervous system takes awhile to settle down when you stop drinking. When I went to rehab, the first visit my gf made was just shy of the two week mark and my memory was so bad if I had a thought while she was speaking, if I didn't blurt it out then and there by the time her sentence or two was done I couln't remember what I wanted to say. It was annoying but also scary to think that maybe I had done permanent damage. The worst of it is over after a month or so, but it apparently takes up to 18 months for the brain to recover to the extent that it will. Pick up a copy of the book "Under the Influence" by James Milam, it has lots of useful information as to what to expect and what is going on physically and neurologically as you recover. I found it to be really helpful to know that what I was experiencing was normal and part of the healing process (and that I wasn't losing my mind).
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been forgetful and air headed and such. I think it will pass.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yesterday I was making pancakes for the kids and batter started dripping down a little hole in the griddle, I went to wipe it (not smart, hit surface). Then the griddle started to topple off of the counter top, at which point I grabbed both ends to stop it. So in a matter of two minutes I burnt my hands twice!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I remember having several days of extreme clumsiness all of the sudden (I think it was around week 2 or 3). It didn't last long, but I remember thinking "what the h...?" So yeah, you're not the only one!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe you are as clumsy drunk but just didn't notice... I for one used to come home with ridiculous amounts of bruises, lol.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Make sure to take multivitamins! Many deficiencies as the body readjusts, and it I'll help level you out. I would get dizzy, tired, clumsy, all kinds of stuff.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Delilah that's horrible. Hope your burns heal quickly. I can totally relate to that.

Isinganyway, I was an incredibly lucky drunk. I never had mysterious bruises or accidents. I was laughing (kind of) at the irony this weekend.

I'm taking things extra slow while I'm feeling unbalanced. My thumb isn't hurting and looks like its healing but I'm going to show it to a pharmacist to see if they think it needs a stitch.

Oh well, at least I can't get into trouble at work! Lol