Notices

Mornings are the WORST!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mornings are the WORST!

Hi there I am pretty new on the forum. I am 8 days sober from opiates and after many failed attempts to clean up i am finally completely ready mentally for this to be the last time.

I wanted to talk about the mornings. Although I am mostly through the physical withdrawals, the mornings are still terrible. This is when I feel the most sick and the most depressed. When I wake up my cravings are strongest and it seems like I will never make it through the day. Although with the right attitude I can usually get through and end up having a good day, the mornings for me are my weakest point. I feel that if I were to slip up and use it would be then and I can't go back to that!! I just want to stay clean so badly

Anyone else have similar experience or have any advice? I could really use some support with this issue.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mornings were always the hardest for me too. When I was using the first thought in my head was to get high because it had been a good 10 hours since I last used and it was always straight to the bathroom to do a shot. What a horrible way to live, but I hear you in the beginning I would always wake up craving and thinking God another day of this?

I don't have any great advice for you except push yourself to get moving. Get in the shower or maybe take a short walk. Have you ever tried meditation? I know sounds crazy, but maybe get a cd and try some guided meditation to relax your mind. I have some daily reflection books that have a reading for each day which is a good way to try to put some positive thoughts in your head.

It definitely gets easier and you are still experiencing some physical symptoms and I am sure the mental obsession is still strong so give yourself a break. Realizing you might feel like this for a bit and accept that is part of the healing process. You are building a new life for yourself. Hang in there my friend! Tell yourself using is NOT an option and you are going to stay sober today because you deserve it.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mornings were brutal when I first got clean from oxy. Felt sick, cold, restless, anxious, depressed. It improves as your nervous system heals over time. Advice- scorching hot showers, stretching, deep breathing, get some food in you, and get busy with something. As the day goes on it eases, and as the weeks and months go on it basically goes away. Hang in there.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It gets easier, I promise. You have to remain patient, and think about the damage you did to your body. Your body is working very very hard right now and trying to repair itself. You can help your body by moving, drinking lots of water, and eating right. I quit using pain meds after 7 years, and the final quit date was Feb 15. The first month was the hardest thing I ever did. It takes time. At 8 months now I feel great, but it took a while. Hang in there.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Night owl

I wish I had some great advice for but I don't. I'm having the same problem but at the other end of the day. Mornings are okay but for me it's the night and evening that are the toughest. More physical pain, especially if I've been working, more crankiness and short-temper and even ragey feelings, and way increased cravings to use.

I guess we just have to get used to it, but I sure wish I knew ways to deal with these problems and transition out of them....
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To this day, almost 2 years since entering recovery, mornings are still the worse time for me. I also have a fairly regular "rumbly in my tumbly" most mornings that adds to this. I was a long time opiate pill abuser, on and off, but mostly on, for many years. I have decided that some things now I just have to live with. Most mornings, I get moving and it does get better.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

mornings do suck because thats the way i started everyday for three years. now with 55 days clean the mornings dont suck as bad. hang in it does get better!!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My goodness can I ever relate. I'm on day 6 and I wake up so depressed and feel like total absolute hell. At least I'm sleeping a bit now but it's hard.

I used to wake up and run straight to the bathroom to get high. That was what got me out of bed and made my day tolerable. Now I just lay in bed and feel my bones ache and the hot / cold sensations all throughout my body.

Ugh. I know it does get better. All I can say is you're not alone.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on being 8 days sober. That's ace xxx
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, I am now at 15 days clean!! whooo! and I think that the mornings are beginning to get better for me. I still feel sick to my stomach first thing but have found that switching from coffee to tea has helped. I have also been developing a really nice morning routine (up early, yoga and cook nice breakfast before leaving the house) and this seems to help with the morning cravings and the depression.

So if anyone out there is reading this with the same issue, it really does get better over time. In fact this morning when I woke up I said to my SO "wow, I actually dont feel like complete crap this morning, isnt it nice to feel like a normal person again?"
Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, absolutely I can relate. Mornings are the worst for me at least depression wise. I do not want to get out of bed and I am anxious bad. My doctor has explained this to me as it is when cortisol levels are highest (too much cortisol makes you anxious) and can make you feel bad. I am not exactly in the same situation with you drug wise but yes mornings are absolutely the worst. I hope this calms down as my benzo taper/anti depressant taper starts to get regulated. But opiates are my true DOC and yes it seems that I want to use them the most in the morning to help me get out of bed and get going.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Reid,

I am so glad that you gave us an update! I hope they continue to get better. I have been almost 2 years sober with one relapse in there and believe me...it wasn't worth it. I have a routine also in the morning. This was a major use time probably for just about everyone on the board...people like to start their days with pills. Interesting that I wouldn't miss a day of my morning buzz pill but do you think I remember to take my regular meds every morning? Ah...where the priorities lie. Stupid addict behavior but that's what I am.

So get for the routine! stick with it. I also found that tea was more mild then coffee until the stomach eventually heals itself. Have a great day!