My 5 year old understands relationships better than me...

Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

My 5 year old understands relationships better than me...

So, My five year old started kindergarden this year. He has had a crush on the "cute" girl in the class since the school year started. She has a cousin in the class and they are netorious for not playing with the other kids. My son has come home on many occasions very upset wondering why she won't be his friend.

Well the yesterday they went on a field trip to the pumpkin patch. He rode on the bus with her. Apparently she asked him to be her boyfriend. I asked him, "Well what did you say." He told me that he said "NO." When I asked him why because you have liked her all year. He said, "She doesn't play with me and doesn't act like me friend." I said maybe she has been shy because she likes you. She says she likes me, but she doesn't play with me. So until she plays with me I am not goint to be her boyfriend.

Oh My Gosh! He gets it. He payed attention to what her actions were and not what she was saying!!!!!! I love my kids....

From the mouth of babes!!

4MyBoys
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent!!! Also, based on what I've read, playing is the currency of childhood. Who plays with whom is important. The response to "can I play, too," is likewise important. By not playing with your son, the little girl really did communicate in the strongest way possible that she is not his friend. Friends play together. People who are not friends do not play together. End of story. Your son proved that he is a well-adjusted little boy by refusing to go along with the little girl's offer of friendship. He knows what being a friend is and what it is not. Way to go, Mama!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He knows that he deserves to be treated well. He has self love and self respect.
Way to GO MOM!!!!!