Notices

Day 1

Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Today is my first day not drinking. I have tried to quit before, but can't seem to get past 3 or 4 days. I would really appreciate any advice or words of encouragement. I know drinking will kill me if I continue the way I have been...I drink vodka like it's water and even though I hate it, I can't seem to stop. However, I'm trying to stay positive and my hope is that today will be the real day that I quit. Thank You.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is my day 1 as well. Are you seeing a doctor?

You might want to look for the "Quitting What to Expect" thread.

I just read it but can't post a link since I have too few posts. Might help you too.

I am NOT seeing a doctor, although I have been in communication with a close friend who is one. She really wants me to see one (she's three states away), but I am being stubborn. I have quit for a week before, recently, without any ill effects (well, discomfort but nothing "serious").

Not planning to count days. Waiting for a couple library books to come in, Rational Recovery and Allen Carr's Easy Way.

Hope we both do well on this journey.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Rachelmichelle!

Glad you've joined us! I know how hard it is to even think about getting sober..... I usually didn't last more than a day or two when I tried to do it on my own. Coming here really helped me turn things around.

You really can be sober and happy, even though it may not feel that way right now. Be patient with yourself and take it a day (or an hour, or a minute) at a time. Keep reading and posting, too!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not too far along in my sobriety (10 days) but I was having a problem putting the cork in the jug, so to speak. I finally put my mind to it and have made it this far. Seeing a doctor might be a good idea as they can ease some of the withdrawal symptoms and put you in touch with different programs.

The final push for me was when I read, "Drinking: A Love Story". I read it and thought, wow that's ME. I have to stop this madness.

Best of luck and just try and take it day by day. Just don't pick up today!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR this place is excellent for support and information.

My advice is simply to believe in yourself - being sober may not be easy at times but it is simple, because all you have to do to be sober is stop putting alcohol inside you. There are other things you may want to work on - how you deal with your problems without the crutch of alcohol, or being in social situations without it, but for now, just focus on the sober aspect - don't drink. Each day that passes will make you stronger. Just remember that you CAN be sober. You CAN live a fulfilled, happy life without alcohol. You CAN do this, and the reason why I know that is because there are thousands and thousands of people on SR who have been where you are and are now living sober, happy lives. My mental and physical health has improved more than I could ever have imagined and you can have all that, too.

Be positive, be strong, and remember that you CAN do this.

If you experience any withdrawal symptoms then please don't hesitate to get medical advice.

Wishing you all the best. Stick around and post lots - we're here to support you x
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll definitely check out the thread that you suggested. I'm not seeing a doctor, but have considered it. My situation is a little unique in that drinking has only become a problem of mine within the last year. Prior to that I only drank once or twice a year. And I'm so puzzled as to why I drink, it's not that I have a terrible life. So I'm hoping that I can manage any physical withdrawal symptoms on my own. I wish you all the luck in the world on your journey. I'm hoping this site helps with support...and it has so far.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The final push for me was when I read, "Drinking: A Love Story". I read it and thought, wow that's ME. I have to stop this madness. [/QUOTE]

I really need to read that book, I have seen it in several people's posts and it sounds like me. The nice thing about being sober is after the kids are in bed I have plenty of time for reading!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome RachelMichelle! Stick around here and you will find lots of support. Keep reading and posting.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today is the perfect day to be the real day that you quit! Keep reading and keep posting. This is a great website and it is the only reason I have not had a drink for 5 months. Get a large variety of fancy non-alcoholic drinks. Be proud that you're making a great choice for your life.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Rachelmichelle

I encourage you to see a Dr too. Detox can sometimes be tricky for some of us.

You'll find a ton of support here. SR really helped me turn things round - I hope you can too
Old 10-31-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Rachel, day 3 for me, and I can so relate to your post. I rarely make it past day 3 or 4, and I hate vodka too but keep putting it in me. Hopefully this will be the time that we both can finally quit, stay strong.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, as you can see you're not alone.
Lots of info & support here for you.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Here's that thread they mentioned about quitting.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. I hope you stay with us. Stopping and then staying stopped is the key! People were forever telling me what woudl happen if i didn't stop drinking. Then one day someone told me what could happen if i got sober. That was the turning point for me. Eliminating alcohol from my life was the best thing i ever did and the thing i am most proud of. It opened up my life and now i am free. I hope you are blessed with that too. xx