Notices

how to quit cocaine

Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how to quit cocaine

I have been using daily for over six months. i have taken it recreatio ally for a few years on amd off at weekends. over the last year or so it has increased to every night with my husbamd but as i cant fhnction the next day i have been secretly taking it duri g the day as well. its taking its toll on my health and i am usjng just to function rather than enjoying it anymore never mind the cost. i have tried quitting but havent even made it through o e day yet as tthe headaches i am getting are so painful and the only thing to take them away is a line. one line turns imto two into ten amd then my husbamd buys more in the evening so i am always in a mess the day after. i have a job amd a family and cant afford to hide away for a week to recover. i tried cutting back but nonce tje first line is gone i cant hold back. I cant see the doc as i would get the sack from my job. i am at a loss and cant tell my family. they do t even know i smoke and it would devastate them.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chellebob - welcome
I moved your thread. I think you'll get more specific responses here.

I'm sorry you've ruled out the Dr - have you thought of a recovery group like NA perhaps?

D
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its ok just put it in the best place. I am a teacher and the doc would need to inform my school, who would have no choice but to sack me as it breaches the terms of my profession. I really think a doctor would help as I am having a lot of physical effects such as the headaches but have also suffered with depression and Iam quite scared of the psychological effects of quitting as I am quite sure must have next to no natural levels of feel good chemicals left in my body. I dont want to be that sad, tired, miserable person again. I quite liked the happy chatty me I was in the early days of taking the drug. iIt seems so impossible to escape the cycle.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll hear from people with more experience than me soon

D
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, that person is still in there and trapped. You just did the wrong thing to try and get em out!
Quit the coke and you will be shocked how your personality comes back. Good and bad, but more good, that's what I need to embrace too. Good luck
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'll need a week or two, most probably more to get clean. Sadly, addiction and WD won't go away in a day. Personally, it took me about 2 weeks, with a relapse in between, to feel much better. While I do still think about it, those thoughts and cravings aren't as strong as they were. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's not impossible either. Though, our situations are different. I have no way of getting it now, and the relapse was because I've gotten so depressed during the first week that I found a small stash hidden away. Once that was gone, I knew that was it. Week after that (2nd week) has been a lot easier.

The good thing is, that you're not enjoying is so much any longer. The bad is that you have to hide WD. Perhaps talking to your husband, telling him not to get it anymore. Quit together. Then take some time off work and prepare for misery.

Bottom line is, you just need to be willing to stop. All up to you.

Best of luck!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Chellebob,

Weirdly enough I was a trainee teacher, and a cocaine addict. I did various placements in schools whilst at university but tried not to use when I was teaching. I went to a local day program at a drug and alcohol service. It didn't suit me as I was one of the only ones that wasn't being forced to be there by the courts.

I went to Cocaine Anonymous and then went to Narcotics Anonymous and have stayed there since. It's a hell of a drug to come off. I was doing an obscene amount on a daily basis. I ended up going through the withdrawals on sleeping meds but I was pretty messed up. It might get to the point where you have to tell someone or book some holiday to detox.

Natom.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That stuff is a real destroyer. Stop now before it gets worse.

Cocaine causes the brain to use up all it's feel good chemicals so, it may seem bleak in the beginning. However, you will be so much healthier in the long run if you stay stopped. Take your life back. Cocaine is not worth all the misery it causes. It promises everything and delivers nothing but suffering.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Think of how polluted your nasal passages probably are. Think of how fried your brain synapses probably are. Think of what a bummer it would be if your heart exploded one day. Don't laugh, it's happened. Think of all the money you're pissing away on nose candy. And thank Christ you haven't discovered freebasing yet. That's a nasty monkey that I had personal experience with. WD is never easy from any drug but (while I'm not a doctor) I can tell you that there are no life threatening conditions from coke withdrawal. It may feel like it but hang in there. Nothing worthwhile is easy. Tough it out a few weeks and as your body starts to rebound you'll start to feel tons better. It'll never get better if you keep chipping though. Good luck. You can do this.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You should really talk to your husband and voice your concerns. If you keep everything inside nothing will change. The good thing is you recognize what it's doing to you which in turn will motivate you to stop. The sooner you stop the easier it will be. Don't wait any longer. Take control.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey,

I understand how addictive cocaine can be as it almost destroyed me but I am now 14 months clean and my life has really improved.

To stop using you need to make some some massive changes in your life - talk to your husband and stop buying cocaine.

If you are unable to visit a doctor then can I suggest attening a CA meeting and maybe seeing a shrink for the depression. When I stopped using the depression was bad and me head was a mess but with time (6 month +) I was able to move forward and start to enjoy life again.

My shrink allowed me to understand why I used and deal with my mental issues - it was a fantastic decision as the sessions really helped.

If you need any advise on how I stopped using then let me know

Its a long hard battle to stop using but its a fantastic decision and your life will only get better but you need to give this 100% and time.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((chellebob)) - My DOC (drug of choice) was crack. I was a heavy 24/7 user. I seriously don't think I would have been able to stop if I were living with someone who continued to use it, but that's just me.

I had no physical withdrawals, but the mental ones were no fun. They didn't last, though. I'm going on 6 years in recovery so it CAN be done. You just have to want recovery more than you want the coke.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy