Notices

wanting to feel content

Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face wanting to feel content

Only two months sober I have been trying to feel content. My sponser is leaving town soon and i do need another.
I have no desire to drink but i want to feel better. i am working the steps and am on step 3 with full belief in god and the miracles done through him. I thought i would be nice to get some in put from this forum on how others attained contentment and how others worked the steps. thank you god bless
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask another to sponsor you, steps 4-9 are the "relief and freedom" steps. Those will help you feel content.

I'm writing my fourth 4th step Saturday and steps 5, 6, 7 will follow on Sunday morning (and afternoon). I am looking forward to that relief again.

I wish you well,
Old 10-29-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The steps are the only thing that ever got me to a place of being content. Sounds like you are comfortable with your higher power. Based on your comment youre ready to start the foot work. Find that new sponsor and get busy. If you keep a good momentum and refrain from dragging your feet, you will find contentment and more in no time!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Two months is early in recovery. I'm not saying its too early to feel content, but it is understandable that you haven't quite reached that stage.

But you will reach it. Stay sober. Don't take the blessing of your daily reprieve from alcohol for granted. Express gratitude for the things and people in your life. Give of yourself and your time. Contentment will find you.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I never feel like I am making progress but when I am in the "Poor me pity party funk" I look at where I started and where I am. This helps everytime.

You did not get to be an alcoholic in a day and you are not going to get fixed in one either. Just keep moving forward and each day gets a little better. Find another sponsor and do the right thing on a daily basis. Progress not perfection
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try not to put 'conditions' on your recovery, to analyze and judge it.

Remember where it says in the Promises:

The Promises, that are read in many A.A. Meetings can be found on page 83-84, of the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous.
THE A.A. PROMISES

"The spiritual life is not a theory, we have to live it.
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.