Notices

51 days

Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

51 days

Well, I haven't had a drink in 51 days and it's been difficult but getting better. The first 30 days or so I suffered from depression, and boredom.
The depression has subsided some, but I still don't sleep well. I can fall asleep ok, but always wake up after 2 or 3 hours.

I have also had headaches, and found out today that my blood pressure is up pretty high. My Dr put me on meds for the blood pressure. He told me that alcohol dilates blood vessels and can lower blood pressure.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

I am hoping that changes to my diet (food cravings are extreme right now) and an exercise program can get me off the meds.

I am glad I found SR to help me get through this.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((tryingeveryday)) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on 51 days!! I'm glad you're seeing your doctor and glad you're here!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share on low blood pressure, but welcome to SR tryingeveryday

D
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety. Glad you are feeling a bit better. Alcoholic hypertension is what I have heard of, which is high blood pressure caused by chronic alcohol abuse. It often improves with sobriety. Good you are checking this out with your doctor and getting medicated for the high BP. Hope you continue getting that monitored and get your exercise program approved too. Best wishes to you.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, the strange thing is my blood pressure was fine 6 months ago. It seemed to spike after I quit drinking. I guess the physical changes, along with the stress of quitting may be the problem.

I was already on one medication for BP, now I have 2. The doc seems to think this may be a temporary problem.

I also have been using 1 or 2 energy "shots" per day. Stopping that tomorrow to see if that is part of the problem.

Getting my diet under control will take more effort. I want to eat everything in sight these days, and even crave sweets, which I never did before.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I experienced BP swing up then down in early sobriety. Monitoring was essential, I am now off medication and have been since about 6 weeks, though still monitoring closely. The eating has been an issue too, no weight loss as reported by many others. Trying to eat small, high fiber snacks every few hours to keep bad choices less appealing. It all gets better! Stay strong.