Notices

What's supposed to be my motivation?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's supposed to be my motivation?

Three months without drinking like I want to have passed and I feel like a madman. This side of me i've been trying to hold back is just growing stronger, and I feel weaker in a way. I'm losing sight in what should matter most to me.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you think about why you quit in the first place? Something must have motivated you. I started drinking again after 5 years sober. 4 years later I found myself in the same place I was when I had quit before. I thought I was cured by my extended abstinence. How many times to I have play the same record over ?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrfreebird View Post
Three months without drinking like I want to have passed and I feel like a madman. This side of me i've been trying to hold back is just growing stronger, and I feel weaker in a way. I'm losing sight in what should matter most to me.
Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous".

See if you can identify with what is being said in those texts.

I couldn't get/stay sober on my own. I needed all the help I could get in AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

MrFreeBird ~ 3 months is great, who are you kidding? Don't take that for granted. You've done well and should keep it up. Hell, I've got 65 days and I look forward to having 3 months sober (and many, many more). Your motivation could be anything you want it to be, simple or complex. Personally, my motivation seems to change daily. Right now I am motivated by the great feeling I have every single morning I wake up without a hangover. Keep up the good fight!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I knew that I had to find a purpose in life in order to recover, because I had been off-track for a long time. For me, the answers came in reconnecting spiritually and listening to my soul. I read some great books, learned to be quiet with myself and to listen to the voice which showed me the way.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by mrfreebird View Post
After over 20 years of serious abuse.. I wanted to be free legally, mentally, and emtionally..

Happy, joyus , and free I am today..

Thank you AA and SR..
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how you're feeling MrFreebird. I have only one month sober but sometimes it feels like that's enough time, like I have paid my fine or punishment and now it's time to get back to normal (drinking). Escapist brings up a good point though; you quit for a reason, something motivated you enough to change your life. And do you really think things are going to be different this time? Be honest with yourself and remember what drove you quit in the first place, I'm sure it was a good reason.

Congrats on three months, that's nothing to scoff at. You motivate me by showing me it's possible. Have a nice day.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mr Free,
Please consider AA.
I know I have really had a difficult time dealing with ME since quitting.
But really, if you can just be patient and have faith, things get better, we get better.
You have to change your thinking, attitude.
I have noticed recently that the chest-tightening, heart-pounding panic attacks have receded to a minimum.
I just really stop and say, ok what is the problem? How real is it?

For example, just today, I am lonely, but then when I stopped and thought about it, my phone rang, and I didn't pick up!!! Well hello! Maybe it is me keeping me lonely, because I am nutty!!!! I have an electrician coming around later and I was all annoyed as my whole day was wasted!!! No! Me again! I called him, he is coming at 730pm and I will go to a 6pm mtg and he will be late and come at 830pm and that is ok.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow, but I clear more in a day than a lot of people in a week. So shut up Anne, and get a grip!! I will still be all cranky, but then Friday evening when I finish, I will be delighted and that is what I know for sure. Today, I know that every single mood, whether good or bad, passes.

At no point can I come up with a scenario where drinking, hangovers or obsessing about the next drink is better than this.

And, it is definately getting better.
Hang in there.