Notices

New to the forum.. need help and support

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forum.. need help and support

Hey my name is Kristen,
I am reaching out for help and stumbled upon this site. Im 22-years-old and come from a background of an alcoholic mother who is receiving help and maintaining sober. I seem to turn into a monster when I drink, saying horrible things. It cost me the love of my life, and we plan on being together.. I just want help. I say horrible things to the people I love and do things I would never do sober. I have made a fool out of myself to the point where I dont want to see people I have made friends with, lying to them when I'm drunk, making moves on people without remembering and not being so happy about it.. I cant explain why I do these things, and I feel alone. I want people to talk to here, to help me get my life and love back together.. and I know only I can make that happen, but I would like some friends here who understand what Im going through. Alcohol is ruining my life, Ill be great one or two weeks, even on top of the world then I fall back down.. feeling absolutely horrible. Please help and God Bless.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Kristen)) - Welcome to SR!! First of all, I'm glad to see that you are seeing alcohol is causing problems at such a young age. Most of us don't recognize the problem until we are decades older.

I recommend reading around other posts, here and in the alcoholism forum. I lurked here for a couple years before I joined, and realizing that I wasn't alone or the only one with a problem is what kept drawing me back here.

How has your mom maintained her sobriety? Is it anything you would consider? Just asking, because sometimes family can be a great support, sometimes not so much. Regardless, you will get lots of support here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She is on Anabuse (sp?). I do consider it a lot. She has had a couple slips, but everyone does and I admire her for getting help. I dont want to be like this, Im embarrassed and alcohol is an evil, evil thing. I live 3 hours from family and I have in my head the peopleI have been embarrassing myself around don't want to see me. Im so depressed about it, hopefully it will just smooth over. :/
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kristen

Coming here to SR really helped me break that cycle...it really helps to have a community of support, and a community to be accountable to.

We do understand - welcome to SR

D
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Kristen, and welcome to SR. Lot's of good information and support here and if you look around a bit you are sure to be able to diagnose your problem. Once you know what the problem is, you can chose the solution that suits. So far, it seems that drinking alcohol leads to problems for you. If that is your problem, then just don't drink and all will be well. Many folks on this site have done just that. If however, you find you can't "not drink", you may have a different problem to deal with. But there is a solution even for that. I was 22 when I stopped drinking, and I was someone who couldn't not drink. First thing is to identiofy exactly what the problem is.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Kristen! Keep posting and reading on SR. It is a great support!!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome khartenb! Not all of us slip. When I made the decision to quit my 30 year career in blackout drinking 10 years and a month+ ago, I got myself to AA and I haven't had a slip for the entire time of my sobriety.

Of course, I have worked the Steps this entire time with my Sponsor, go to many many meetings, and am willing to do as much Service work as I am able.

I'm not the miserable person that I was for most of my life. I now have a new freedom to LIVE!