Notices

Hi! Im going to make it through this...

Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi! Im going to make it through this...

Hi everyone,
Im new to this site. I have been drinking since I was 17 and I am almost 31. When I drink Thursday-Sunday I can drink between 3-7 glasses a night. The only reasons I dont drink more days is because Im working in the hospital and worry about patient care... bad i have to use the "the patient is my excuse" to stay sober rather than my own health. I started drinking when I was 17 because i had some major emotional issues occurring. Alcohol has been my crutch and I get anxious close to the weekend when i can get my next fix. I have tried to quit over and over again but have failed. The longest i have gone without drinking is 5 days in the last 7 years. My eating diet is extremely healthy but the drinking is the thing that counteracts it . My relationshiop is healthy with my S.O. but my drinking is making me unhappy that I need to drink and be unable to stop and FEEL WORSE that i couldnt stop or moderate. I have conquered so many things in my life. Horribly tough situations....i feel powerless that i cant even stop for a week.
I am going COLD TURKEY for 30 days. I plan to post on here each day on my recovery and whenever i get the urge. Im scared. I worry what my life is going to be like without alcohol....but how much of my life have i missed because i have been too tired or drunk or hungover to do other things?

Your support is appreciated and much needed.....this is my first day of sobriety.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ineedanickname

I drank through stress and worry too (among a billion other things).

The trouble was my drinking came to dwarf my other worries and actually began to impact upon my work performance.

That's not a good road to go down.

There are other ways to relax and unwind - I like music and exercise, I try to stay balanced in my life and I've learned to let go of a lot of responsibility I know now is not mine to shoulder.

Life without the ball and chain of alcohol is amazing.
I actually hope you'll get to 30 days and decide to continue

D
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your first day. What a great step to take.

You will find a lot of help on this site. There are many sober people who can share how they did it and help you out. We all had to start on day 1

For me, I went to AA, which really saved my life. It is not the only way, but it is the only way I knew how to stay sober.

Check out some of the posts by other newcomers. It really helped me to talk to others who were around my day count, because we all seemed to be going through the exact same feelings. There is a thread for the class of October which you may find helpful
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Congrats on making your decision to quit drinking for 30 days. I am certain you will learn a lot more about how alcohol has affected your life during this period of abstinence. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well,I too work with pt.s and have done so quite hung-over for many years knowing I'd clear up after a couple hours and lot of coffee to help mask my breath. I'm hardly bragging about it,and really am ashamed but it is what it is/was.
Started drinking and a lot of other stuff at the wise age of 15.Trying to fit in and so on.Man I was the smartest 15yr old there ever was,had a tougher life than anyone and really knew what I was doing.Ha!!! After a couple co-workers said they could smell ETOH on me I started to refrain from drinking the night before I was schd. to work the unit. Working with a pt. with ETOH related issues,knowing that I had my own was kind of hypocritical huh? If I didn't see so many of the negative effects of such use, I'm sure I would have been slower to realize I HAVE TO STOP(not to mention all the other little things like losing my license both to drive and practice,my family,and my sanity).
Fear is a major motivator. I feel so much better mentally and physically.REALLY am better at work.Health care workers have a very high rate of substance abuse,don't really know why,stress I guess,do you think that could be it?Whatever,enough about my problem(s).

Just wanted to let you know you CAN do this.Admiting to yourself that there is a problem is the start of a journey to a new life.You know it won't be easy,life isn't always going to be butterflies and unicorns(love that one)but will be so much better in the long run that all the difficulties will be worth it.

Many ways to do this but YOU wanting to do it is the key.Don't get down on yourself,stay hydrated and it sounds like your nutrition is not a problem if you keep at it.

Yes,come to this forum often.Has helped and continues to help me daily.Great people on here and tons of info/resources.

So glad you posted and my thoughts and prayers will be with you!!!

OC

p.s. wish you would pick a short nickname... or will INAN work? ;-)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family! I drank around 20 years longer than you - and believe me you are doing the right thing. Because I didn't see the danger, or care to confront it, my life turned into a nightmare. It was so hard to get things back on track. You won't have to worry about that.

Congratulations on this great decision to change your life. SR will help you stay strong and hopeful. We all understand how you're feeling.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm staying sober with the help of a counselor and the people here. There are so many ways to get and stay sober. I hope you find what works for you.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Health Care Workers and Drugs

Hey Oz,

It's quite interesting the amount of drugs and healthcare workers. I had a fellow work colleague swipe morphine I was supposed to be giving to a patient from right under my nose once (lucky I have good peripheral vision). The first thing I thought was "Wow you have a drug issue". Ironically, when my S.O. would leave the room for whatever reason, I would take a swig of his wine so there was more of mine left for me. Um.....yeah. I will take a look for the October forum. I sure need all the help I can get because i cant do it alone.
Im too embarrassed to tell my S.O. I feel like I have a problem. He never says anything but he may equate a true alcoholic to someone that cant meet their daily needs and functions. I guess because I eat very healthy, excercise, and function at work he wouldnt think I have a problem?

I just had my first obstacle to overcome tonight. I was asked if I wanted to go out for a drive and sit somewhere ( this usually means lets have happy hour or sunset cocktails) and i replied ,"Sure! I'd love some coffee at Starbucks." It's a start.........
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This site is essential to me.. I made it one week. I drank everyday at home and at work for the past 4 years. I have struggled with alcoholism most of my adult life. I am 51. Coming to SR and posting , getting support , and reading others people's posts (like yours for example) has helped me to accomplish the impossible. You are on the right track.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Starbucks was a good call. This is day 11 for me, and having multiple support sources have been critical. My husband still drinks, and I the past we have both said we should cut down. I have tried stopping before, and didn't drink during any of my pregnancies or when nursing, yet, somehow alcohol weaves its way back into my life and I found myself knowing that it was affecting my relationship with my kids and my job.

I am an educator, and need to have a clear head, there were too many mornings I woke up with a foggy mind. You can do this!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, IneedAnickname. Welcome to SR.

Your life without alcohol will be much better, you've made a great decision to quit it.

Join our October class)

Take care.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! For me, I found my way to AA - thanks to this site - over 10 years ago and haven't drank since 09-08-2002. For me, I needed the 12 Steps. There is no way I could just NOT drink. I needed to work on ME. If it weren't for working the 12 Steps, I have no doubt I would have slipped and not be alive to be typing this today.