Notices

Dreading First Sober Weekend

Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreading First Sober Weekend

I still feel emotionally like crap so I'm not feeling like doing a bunch of activities. I also have a child who needs naps so I'm tethered to my home to some degree. I'm legitimately afraid I might give in when the weekend comes.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You can only take it one day at a time dogmamma. I know it's hard to not project onto the weekend but it isn't worth worrying about until the weekend actually gets here. Have you got any people you could call round for support?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

youre willing to change, thats almost half the battle. but like other people say, do it a day t a time. the negative emotions will pass. its your body's way of telling you youre changing for the better, but its gonna be a pain in the ass too lol
Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

make sure you have a ton of options to keep you busy..... a varied list, so if you don't feel like doing one thing there are other options and you don't have to sit and think --- if you get to thinking.... you might just get to thinking a drink would be the best option. best wishes!!!
oh and if nothing else works, come here and read and read and read. post!!! and you can also blog here (even make your posts private if you wish) and my favorite: i played the mahjongg game here in the arcade one whole weekend
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think about how fantastic you will feel for getting through a whole weekend sober Dogmamma! I remember my first sober weekend... I was practically delirious I had made it through. First time in at least 12 years! I was pretty much glued to SR too. Don't let your mind wander and think about drinking. Keep us updated as to how your getting on x
Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey dog, like the others have said, don't worry about this weekend. Worry about today. Don't fill ur plate with worries over something that isn't even here yet. My first weekend was filled with emotional highs and lows, white knuckled a couple of cravings, due to habit, but before I knew it, Monday was here again and I could breathe! For me, Monday is my free day of the week, no work, kids in school, and it's my sobriety day, so each weekend I get to look forward to Monday as another milestone. Stay close to sr, have some friends you trust come over and take naps with your child. Your mind and body will appreciate it! Keep it simple!!! Best wishes!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Addiction is so so cunning and devious. It's good you have identified that you may struggle. You now have a few days to get some kind of support network in place to make it easier for yourself.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I'm trying to put it aside for today. It's only Wednesday. I'm naturally a worrier (hence I was a drinker). At least tethered to the house with a child to care for will make it much more difficult to acquire alcohol. And as many of you suggested, I'm trying to focus on what is good from quitting. Sitting here on day three, I'm starting slide back to wanting alcohol more than not. If I can make something good happen today, hopefully it will build from there. Actually, it already has. I woke up with a smile for my daughter and could be fully engaged with her while i got her ready for school because i wasn't hung over. I'll build on that.

As for support, unfortunately, my friends are also drunks. Even talking to them feels like a trigger. It will be me, my daughter and an iPad full of games. I'm also considering putting myself in bed when I put her in bed. I'll read or surf this site.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about this : Have fun with your daughter, when she goes to bed make yourself a nice bowl of ice cream or something sweet you enjoy, then come here for a while. Being sober is worth it, you'll feel such a feeling of accomplishment on Monday morning. This plan will cost you no heartache, no anxiety, and just a few extra mutes n the treadmill.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like the plan, needsassistance.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Could your daughter have a nap in a pram/stroller or the car?
Then you are not stuck indoors with cabin fever!

I still have those days when all I want to do is get out of the house. I have a 2 year old so I understand.

Just remember as well, that when your daughter goes for a nap, you could have a nap too and wake up feeling refreshed and not groggy from drinking during the day.

Maybe you could light some candles, nice music and a face pack and have a chill out nstead?
Egg whites whipped on your face are very good for tightening and brightening!!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Instead of dreading this weekend, think of the benefits.

while your daughter is napping, a nice hot soak in a tub will help with any extra stress too, and open your pores i forgot what that oil is that you can add to bathwater that helps remove toxins???/
Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fandy nice idea, i think ill try that today.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I like your ideas, Sasha and fandy. I am usually scrambling around, downing a drink so it will wear off by the time she wakes up, cleaning and preparing for when she wakes up and wants all my attention. Maybe I can do something so I'm calmer than when she went to sleep.

I will say drinking has pretty much stopped us from going out in her stroller, which she loves. I'd stopped drinking while pregnant and her entire first year. When she became more independent, I slipped back here again. My new friend from work has asked me to come out walking with her and her daughter Saturday. I said "yes." I would have said "no" before I stopped drinking because I was so withdrawn from the world and exhausted from drinking.