Notices

new to this site

Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this site

hi all. i'm new here and i've hit rock bottom. i'm facing some jail time, not a lot, but i will lose my job. and i'm afraid that my kids will hate me.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think your kids will hate you most if you don't get help. You're off to a great start already, just finding SR.
Whether you do jail time or not, what do you think you'll do to stay sober now? There are a lot of options out there but I think everyone here will tell you that you've got to have a plan of action that you focus on daily.

Good luck and keep posting timetobeclean!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you're here timetobeclean
Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcom i am on day 3
Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure your kids will be upset to see you go to jail, but they will be thrilled to see you sober and recovering.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your kids will not hate you! If going to jail plays a part in your getting sober and becoming a good mom, it will indeed be a short time compared to the rest of thier lives they will have with a healthy, happy mom. So glad to see you here!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your kids won't hate you. My dad hit rock bottom several times, and I loved him more than anything until he passed away last year. I am only sad that he couldn't get it together to live longer to see his grand kids get older. That's why I'm here. I am no where at the point he was but I don't want to be. I want to be healthy and aware. I am on Day 3 today. I am rooting for you to make it to Day 3 also. I saw a great post earlier today that was about showing your family, kids, friends, etc. you can change. Don't just tell them. You can do it!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

even in moments where I "hate" my parents, I still love them. Just show your kids that you intend to improve yourself and youll be ALL GOOD.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It sounds like you're disgusted and ready to leave that old, sick life behind. This can be the beginning of a new day for you and your family. I'm sure your kids will always love you - and how proud they'll be when you begin to heal. You can do it!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get sober. Your kids will love you. I need to clean up again. I do well for a while. My grandaughter made me a poster early this year telling me how proud she was of me. Shes 20. I started to cry. I kept it in my work folder. Now I'm ashamed to look at it. Try to use your jail time to sober up. Ask if they can have a rep from AA come in. I know at our AA they do that. I may have to go to rehab to work mine out.
Good luck my friend
Diana
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

All your children really want is a sober father. My children wanted that for years but I could not give it to them. Today I think they are still holding their breath a bit but they are so happy I am clean and sober.

AA is the only thing that worked for me
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I grew up with an apcoholic father, hes never admitted to having a problem and never tried to change. After 27 years I still don't hate him and never will but I feel an awful lot of resentment, and probably worse, pity. As a parent the best thing he could have ever ever done for me is faced up to his problem and at least tried to change it. It seems like you're on the right road to doing that.
Make an effort to show your kids that you're trying and while it may not be immediate there will come a time where they have nothing but respect for you.
Good luck
Old 10-12-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody for your kind words. I tried AA before and really struggled with the religious part of it. And I know everybody says that a higher power can be whatever you want it to be. But I just can't find it in myself to believe in a higher power of any kind. I know that I need help to stop drinking, I'm just really confused right now.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am an atheist and AA is totally workable without a belief in any preconceived notion of a higher power. If that is an option open to you don't write it off on that basis, you can learn a lot from AA.

That said, try AVRT or SMART. AVRT you don't even need meetings for Check out the secular connections forum here x
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Close to the end for me I would of thought maybe would be rock bottom. Last Jan I went in to serve 30 days in county jail, lost my job, car. And then wound up in the ICU from detoxing in jail. Well after I was released from ICU I was at the pub that night..

Alcohol cunning , baffling , powerful, and forever patient..

Good news you can come back from all that, and have a way better life than you imagined.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR timetobeclean

D
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Time,
I used to live in London ON myself...spent many a night in the drunk tank there. I hit rock-bottom. Lost my job, bankruptcy, hospitals...etc. I went to rehab for 35 days at Homewood in Guelph. Saved my life. Have you thought about in-patient rehab?