Notices

Looking for some extra help

Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Wink Looking for some extra help

I have been a member of SR for a while now but have not made much progress. I have attempted to quit drinking many times. The longest I had made it was 4 days. That sounds horrible. Over the past 3 years the longest I went without was 4 days. That's a lot of alcohol and regretful situations. I just had a moment
Anyway, my support system/family all drink too much. They would gossip if I talked to them about it. I need someone to talk to or text when I get the urge. I would love to have some support. Any volunteers?
My kids have been late to school 2 times because of my drinking and not waking up on time. I have not been very responsible in many ways. I want to be done with the loneliness, depression, the constant self destruction. I have a lot of work to do. I do not know who I am anymore.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Feel free to private message me for support. I would let you text me but I am in the UK so the charges would be horrible.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found sobriety in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Join the class of October Diha. I was in the class of March and I don't think I could have coped without it and the people who supported me there. Also, AA is a great place to go and get phone numbers and face to face support Feel free to PM me too. I am here daily x
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as others mentioned, AA is a great place to get sober and get contact numbers. Also, this site has a chat room. I think most of the time someone is on chat, so you can log into it and get support.
plus, since the group is from all over the world, chances are someone will respond to your thread within minutes.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((diha)) - I've found support right here, at SR. I lurked for a couple of years, finally joined when I was 6 months clean of a crack addiction. I found that I got what I needed to hear from all kinds of people, all kinds of addictions.

I did go to AA for a while, and I still use what I learned there. I read through a gazillion posts, found out I was NOT alone and took bits and pieces of what others used to build my recovery program...alcohol, opiates, crack..didn't matter, we all had a similar problem.

SR is here 24/7 and I am fortunate that I have a lot of f2f support, but I know meetings work for many.

Get comfy, read around and you will find you are not alone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Diha ~ There's always someone on these forums day or night who would be more than happy to chat with you.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sounds like what you are doing is not working too well. Maybe it is time to try something differant.

AA Worked for me with the most fantastic support network you can imagine. Just to give you some idea I know 4 seperate Tom's that I can call anytime and that is just the Tom's, 2 Ricks, 3 Johns, 2 Jeff's, 2 Pauls, 3 Patty's, 2 Kens and a zillion others.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

I will join the october group. Thank you for all the replies! I was just thinking it would be easier to text. It is faster. I would be worried about attending AA. I live in a small town and my job has a lot of community involvement. Word gets out quick.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by diha View Post
I will join the october group. Thank you for all the replies! I was just thinking it would be easier to text. It is faster. I would be worried about attending AA. I live in a small town and my job has a lot of community involvement. Word gets out quick.
If some one is at an AA meeting chances are they have a problem with alcohol so if someone you know is there they are there for the same reason you are and they will not be talking

If you are really worried go to the next town over. I used to drive 45 miles one way to go to a meeting 7 days per week not because of being worried but it is where I first sobered up
Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

The guilt and shame you're feeling is so very typical of alcoholism. It robs us of ourselves and leaves us gutted. I am so glad you decided to stop drinking and be the person you want to be.

Feel free to PM anytime at all. I'm always around.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Just shaking my head.

Originally Posted by diha View Post
I would be worried about attending AA. I live in a small town and my job has a lot of community involvement. Word gets out quick.
How quick will word get around if your alcoholism progresses to the point where your work is impacted? Your kids are already impacted.

I'm not going to tell you what recovery program to follow. I'm just always amazed that people are so worried that someone will find out they are in recovery, yet think their drinking is invisible.

I'm glad you've decided to seek support. I hope we can help. I know SR helped me.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Just shaking my head.

How quick will word get around if your alcoholism progresses to the point where your work is impacted? Your kids are already impacted.

I'm not going to tell you what recovery program to follow. I'm just always amazed that people are so worried that someone will find out they are in recovery, yet think their drinking is invisible.

I'm glad you've decided to seek support. I hope we can help. I know SR helped me.
Everyone except me knew I had a problem with alcohol. I remember one time going out to the garage to get a drink and found a note under my hidden bottle that said, "Dad please do not drink." Broke my heart but I still drank.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I live in a very small town too. I drive pretty far to go to AA but that really has nothing to do with my small town. It's just where I found meetings that I connected with.

As far as word getting around, I am betting that people already know. Many people knew that I was an alcoholic well before I did.

If you need a sober texting buddy, feel free to PM me.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

see you in the October thread diha

D
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

I am already convincing myself that I can have just one drink tonight. Really? I am just crazy.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

No crazier than the rest of us Diha.

Thinking about it is just what happens - it's not caving in to those thoughts that's the important bit

Stick close to SR tonight - read and post as much as you like.

D
Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

It's really hard trying to get the thoughts out of your head. Any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"Enter every activity without giving mental recognition to the possibility of defeat. Concentrate on your strengths instead of weaknesses... On your powers, instead of your problems".

This.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

stick around here, read a book, weigh the pros and cons of drinking and thing hard about what you really want out of life right now. what are your priorities. you have kids. treat your addiction like a kid throwing a fit right now. yeah, it wants what it wants and it wants it now but you know that's not what's right. it's not what's going to happen. be the responsible adult in this situation and make the right choice. it may mean that you have to deal with some negative feelings and a difficult situation, but you're responsible for making the right decision right now and sticking to it. hang out in the chat for a few and/or browse the forum. but do what is right for your long term sobriety and life. even if it isn't easy.