Notices

made (another) decision

Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

made (another) decision

taking a Leave of Absence from law school to deal w/alcohol abuse and mental health. thankfully we purchased an insurance policy so I'm likely to get my tuition refunded, though not the $900 for books. I'll also be entering outpatient services of some sort -- I'm not wild about the model that's likely to inform the rehab center, nor the fact that I am likely to be surrounded by people who were compulsed to be there in one form or another, but it will help me to prioritize recovery as no. 1 in my life, and I will get something out of it. SMART and AA meetings on the side too.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think making recovery priority 1 is the way to go, aNewEternity.
Good decision

D
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Putting yourself first in your life is a great step, good luck in your recovery.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Check out the recovery programs closely. I happened to get very lucky twice. In both cases the psychologist was in recovery which to me was very important,

To some degree everyone is forced in because their lives had become unmanagable. It is not like one day you woke up and said, "I think I'll try rehab just for fun."

My experience with rehab has been very positive but it took the support network of AA to keep me sober. The first time around I decided I could still do it on my own. My head was all full of rehab knowledge and I knew I could lick this addiction stuff. Lasted for a while and eventually I went back to my old way of thinking and that lead to a 5 year drunk. The second rehab I used AA and have been sober ever since God willing.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've gone to law school. Drinking is built into the curriculum. There are more invitations to networking happy hours than there are organizations on campus. They even tell you when you sit for the bar that if you're an addict, don't give up until after you take the bar exam. Better to be sober going into the whole stretch.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jules

Congratulations on your decision! Its a postive step in the right direction. Its a battle but we have to fight it.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you decided to take care of yourself.