Amazed by everyone here......

Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

Amazed by everyone here......

I am constantly enlightened here by the level and class of the people that are members. A year ago if you would have asked me about the types of people that would come to a board like this, I would have given a very stereotypical answer and assumed everyone was trashy and uneducated. I mean, you married a drinker?!?!

I think I never wanted to be lumped in with other people who would be putting up with the same insanity I was dealing with. But everyone here is amazing. So many educated, enlightened, kind and gentle souls. With careers that seem to span the width of all social and economic boundaries. Creative minds abound.

Thank you for opening my eyes. I read in many books that this affliction is not picky and crosses all of life's boundaries and can affect anyone, but I did not really understand until I was on here a few months. I think I am less judgemental of other and choices they make because of it.

Thank you, and I am wholeheartedly sorry and feel for each of you who have to deal with living with this issue, one way or another in your life.

4MyBoys
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never wanted to be lumped in with other people who would be putting up with the same insanity I was dealing with.
Isn't that funny? I thought the same way. I didn't want to go to Al-Anon because I was convinced there would just be frumpy sad gray women in cardigans with holes at the elbows in housefrocks and support hose sitting there and griping about how victimized they were.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Though my relationships with active alcoholics are in my past now, I still find it a comfort to come to this forum. So much of what turned our family and my life upside down around my mother's drinking was the DEAFENING SILENCE about it. It was such a big dark secret -- when my sister (who is several years older than me) asked me, when I was 19, if I thought Mom was an alcoholic, I actually laughed at her. She took that in stride (bless her) and said, basically, okay, well, I'm going to send you something and I'd like you read it and then let me know what you think. She sent me a book called Adult Children of Alcoholics. From then on, my life completely shifted course and didn't really straighten out for about 17 years.

Again, so much of dealing with this is behind me. But I still find comfort and encouragement that there is a place where people with shared experiences can go and find strength, inspiration, an ear, encouragement, tough love, a smile -- whatever they need to get through this oh so chaotic journey with alcoholism. So I'll second the amazement. And add some pride and gratitude as well. Thanks, all. This place really makes a difference.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The wise, kind people in SR saved my life. I was borderline suicidal when I arrived.
There are many here that I consider part of my family.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Isn't that funny? I thought the same way. I didn't want to go to Al-Anon because I was convinced there would just be frumpy sad gray women in cardigans with holes at the elbows in housefrocks and support hose sitting there and griping about how victimized they were.
Hey! My cardigan doesn't have any holes, and it isn't my fault that my hair is going gray. But I guess it is time to patch the hole in my traditional German schlafrock (dressing gown) though I don't usually wear it outside of the house.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I first discovered SR, I thought "yeah, that's good for people who REALLY have problems". I lurked for a couple of years, then realized I WAS one of those people. Quite amazing what time and experience show us

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

It goes the other way too. A girl I work with is married to an alcoholic, and she tells me all the time, she can not believe I am so stupid that I got with an alcoholic.

Gee, thanks. And you have room to talk?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Funny, isn't it? We can be so smart, in so many ways. Education, wealth, politics, community. Addiction and codependency cross ALL lines, and IMHO, we have an addiction epidemic in our country. I know very few true "social drinkers". Those who have a beer or two, a couple of glasses of wine, a cocktail, and then call it quits. I see more hidden problem drinking/drugging.

It's not my issue (God knows I have enough of my own!!), just an observation!

Hope you continue to enjoy the E,S,H here.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Humble Pie - Yes, I just ate my first piece too, 2 years ago

"Never say never"....I now believe that saying!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree. SR and its members also saved my life.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

I am still YOUNG in my group...but love the wisdom ANYWHERE i can get it!!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Cheers to you 4MyBoys, Al-Anon, SR and all of us here!

P.S. Do toothless members count?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by celticgenes View Post
Funny, isn't it? We can be so smart, in so many ways. Education, wealth, politics, community. Addiction and codependency cross ALL lines, and IMHO, we have an addiction epidemic in our country. I know very few true "social drinkers". Those who have a beer or two, a couple of glasses of wine, a cocktail, and then call it quits. I see more hidden problem drinking/drugging. It's not my issue (God knows I have enough of my own!!), just an observation!

Hope you continue to enjoy the E,S,H here.
Sorry, Celtic, I happen to disagree with this statement. I happen to be a 'social drinker', and always have been (VERY social in college, but that was long ago). Anyway, all my friends drink, and they all drink in moderation - I've never seen any of my friends go anywhere near even a bit 'tipsy', much less drunk.

I know as victimes of A's we tend to get a bit more sensistive when it comes to drinking, but other than my Father and my Wife, I know of no other As.

Thanks. Not trying to get off-topic, as I enjoy the theme of the original post. Thanks, 4MyBoys!!

C-OH Dad
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry, Celtic, I happen to disagree with this statement. I happen to be a 'social drinker', and always have been (VERY social in college, but that was long ago). Anyway, all my friends drink, and they all drink in moderation - I've never seen any of my friends go anywhere near even a bit 'tipsy', much less drunk.
I learned how to drink with drunks. It still blows my mind that some people just have a glass of wine and put it away. I thought everyone who drank "partied." I can't believe how naive that sounds. Ha!

Anyway, I'm so grateful for these boards. Aside from AA, the recovery community is really limited in my area -- from Al-Anon to counseling services, there isn't a whole lot -- but this place has filled in a lot of gaps. I read here daily.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Perhaps you could start a group, Florence!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
TeM

"I think I am less judgemental of other and choices they make because of it."

Same here. I never had a clue what living with an alcoholic was like, because I'd never been exposed to it before. Living in this situation and my inability to do anything about it has been very humbling.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My life has radically changed since going through this with my husband. How arrogant I once was, and judgmental. I thought that "this" only happened to the other guy and that guy was not in my league. I would never allow this to happen in MY life. Funny - and oh so dumb.

Yeah, well, the Universe has a great way of setting us straight!

I've been reprimanded and from this experience my heart has opened and expanded. I now know that all of humanity is rowing in the same boat.

Thankful for the new me.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Hey, I'm still on Titanic and looking to jump down near that last boat WishingWell!