Notices

What surprises has sobriety brought?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What surprises has sobriety brought?

Did you have any big surprises in the early months? I quit drinking nearly 4 months ago and was surprised to find the degree to which my health and personality was affected by the alcohol consumption. My blood pressure became low normal after a few weeks and medication discontinued. My aching, swollen knee is just fine, no more creaking. I am no longer anxious while driving, no easy panic buttons. I was taken by surprise by the lethargy and lack of enjoyment and brain fog that overtook me after the first 5 or 6 days and lasted for more than 2 months. Gone now thankfully but what a revelation about whether or not I had become alcohol dependent. I am more outgoing and positive than I used to be. So many surprises!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think the biggest surprise was that I am more shy than I realized. Alcohol truly gave me liquid courage. I was also surprised by how my body was affected. It's great not having shaking hands, a puffy face or stomach pains.

I'm on Day 13, so still in the tired and brain fog phase. But it's getting better.

I'm sure I'll find more surprises down the road.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm nearing the 6 month mark, my psoriasis is nearly non-existent and my rosacea is gone. I have dropped thirty pounds without effort, and I am shocked at the amount of food I have to eat just to maintain weight. Friendships I thought would deteriorate as a result from my sobriety haven't, and yet my relationship with a sibling I've always been close with feels strained. I'm definately not the life of the party, but I am more social than I thought. I never realized how much thought I put into attending social events, I was either worried about getting too drunk in public, or anxious about not having enough, I'd hide it if I had to. Now I can just go out, and not worry about anything. In hindsight, when I was still drinking and struggling to quit I would project future sober scenarios in a negative light, but in reality sobriety is proving to be less of a struggle than being a drunk.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everything surprised me lol.
Nothing in my life was like I'd expected it would be sober - but in a good way

D
Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All My skin Problems gone.

My lifetime of sleep problems gone.

Weight Coming of, very nice

The way I think and look at things is changing.

I like the way this sober lark is taking me..
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That I can sleep without alcohol!! Like really well.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I have friendships that are completely healthy and not based around drugs or any other type of using such as money etc. It's nice.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember being surprised by how many people don't drink (just don't like it) or just have one drink. I thought everyone drank the way I did
Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was surprised to learn that the greasy, over spiced foods I so desperately craved when I was hung over taste like cr*p when I tried them sober. Between the beer and the food I was eating it is no wonder I am fat.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I was surprised by how many things I now fit into my daily life that there was never time for before. I regularly take my mom to the park to watch the kids play, I cook more, I take more pictures, I read, etc.