Notices

Silly things you did to seem normal

Old 09-29-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Silly things you did to seem normal

I hosted an impromptu brunch just so I could drink champagne before noon.

Others?
Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Frequented different liquor stores to make it seem like my consumption was "normal" Monday was this one, Tuesday was that one and so on...Brunch is a good one, can't believe I never thought of that lol But then again, I was someone who liked to drink alone
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When going on flights, I used to buy alcohol and chug it in the bathroom stalls before boarding. That way, I could get a buzz but not worry about the stranger sitting next to me on the plane thinking I'm an alcoholic!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also frequented a grocery store that hosted wine tastings when we were on the way home from picking the kids up from pre-school. It embarasses me that I always did a second tasting. It amounted to a glass, but still. Who does that?

Thankfully, my husband was always driving. After losing a friend to a drunk driver, I have never driven a car with an ounce of alcohol in my body.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I rotated liquor stores.

I predrank before events so i could look like a normal drinker during the event.

I packed alcohol and hid it in the guestroom i was given, when i visited someone. So i could have vodka whenever i wanted to.

It all sounds like lots of complication, and tremendous shame when i think of that now. I must've been so desperate. I so wanted to seem like others, but I wasn't.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking out of coffee cups so people wouldn't know what I was drinking.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I remember doing my eye makeup over and over because of my poor coordination or shakey hands. I had to look good. The outside could never show the mess within.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A horrible memory I have from a flight back from Alaska. . .the flight attendant gave me two little bottles of vodka for the virgin bloody mary I asked for. I remember her saying, "I imagine you like your drinks strong."

I wanted a drink, and perhaps she didn't hear me say "virgin" or just looked at me and thought, this woman likes to drink.

I never drink vodka, but I did on that flight. Four of them. She kept bringing drinks to me (9 hour flight), and I offered the rest to the guy beside me. He drank mine and his. I didn't realize then that he was an alkie just like me.

I ended up dropping my blackberry in the toilet on the plane, and those suckers can't be resurrected after they are drenched in airplane toilet blue stuff. Couldn't call my boyfriend at the time to let him know we were delayed. Drunk guy beside me couldn't remember the password to unlock his phone.

I got home, and woke up realizing normal people don't down bloody marys for 9 hours.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sadly, the only thing I ever had to hide was my hangovers which I blamed on hunger most of the time.

Living in "The Big Easy" made it easier to drink with no excuse, but even harder to quit. My boyfriend who didn't live there when we started dating couldn't understand how so many people could have a drink before 10 am like it was morning OJ.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Used to keep booze in the kitchen and hidden in the garage. That way while watching a movie I could walk the dog and chug 2 or 3 beers or have a couple pulls while not draining the supply inside readily monitored. Kept it hidden in the garage, in the trunk of the car, pretty much anywhere outside as well as inside so I'd always have an opportunity to go make a private phone call or walk the dog or look at the moon or whatever...
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to mix my drinks and put them in Starbucks cups.

Looked like I was drinking a Passion Tea.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to drive to another town to buy alcohol.

Perils of small town living - and possibly paranoia.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety Dat 26\10\2012

I usually drink on my own but the last time i went on holiday i was sunbathing by the pool and early in the afternoon after already having a few beers i laid there and drank a hole bottle of champagne to my self. to me that was normal and i was wondering why everyone was staring at me but i now know that it was completely unnormal and thats why everyone was staring at me in amazement.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Every morning at work , making a wine tasting or martini special. Had to try them. That way I could slam a couple big shots and not worry about the smell.

Always had a cooler in the car..

Every flight I was going to a funeral... So the attenant felt sorry for me..

But honestly for the last decade of drinking , I just didnt care. I always had a drink in my hand.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never really drank when I was out with certain people... I would drink soda water and have maybe one beer, I was so scared of what people would think of me if they saw what I drank like normally. I'm sure they thought I was really dull rushing home for an early night but really I was going tome to drink
Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I never really drank when I was out with certain people... I would drink soda water and have maybe one beer, I was so scared of what people would think of me if they saw what I drank like normally. I'm sure they thought I was really dull rushing home for an early night but really I was going tome to drink
Ditto!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did the same thing hypo! Rushing home from friends and laughs to drink alone...boy was I fun lol
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I used to go up and down the supermarket aisle ticking off on my fingers and saying out loud he dosn't like red, she only drinks red .. for these non-existant people who were going to drink all the booze i'd put in my basket . Oh how crazy !

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

When my Inlaws were here I offered to go to sonic for happy hour half priced soda treats. I got home, dumped mine and filled it w red wine bc it was a styrofoam cup w a red straw. Clever!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to drink through the mundanity of a job I used to have. I used to fill up apple juice bottles with cider to make it look like I was drinking a normal drink. Each evening I said I wouldn't do it the next day, only to be in the toilet the next morning, spilling cider everywhere in a panic trying to pour the cider into the apple juice bottles, in preparation to numb myslef for the day ahead. I would drink them on the way to the bus stop, on the bus and throughout the day in the toilet.

This was coupled with 'eating' toothpaste throughout the working day to cover up the smell. I used to be so trashed during the day, a co worker once accused me of sniffing coke 'cus I had toothpaste on my upper lip. I was so trollied and un cordinated by finish that here would be toothpaste mushed into my rucksack. I would have to clean it out daily. I would feel i'll from eating toothpaste all day let alone from boozing since sunrise.