Notices

Someone in the supermarket finally brought it up

Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone in the supermarket finally brought it up

Checker mentioned I hadn't bought booze in awhile. I guess I was famous and probably helped the profit margin. I told her I was buying bootleg.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

lol
Old 09-28-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Too funny. I would have told her I'd been buying the booze for my house keeper who recently quit on me.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Or I was the housekeeper. I went between 3 stores but still got a rep
Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That reminded me of when I used to go shopping for my weekend drink on a Friday night. 3 bottles of wine and a bottle of vodka for me, and 12 beers for H. One guy on the checkout asked me if I was having a party one day!!
I was so embarrassed I said yes.
It was really only enough to see us through til Sunday!!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OK yea I did the party thing. Checkers must have thought I'm a party animal. I think more then the not drinking its the not lieing that means the most.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You, too???? Damn I have a lot of stores, and the one store thinks I buy it for a drunk husband... Oh, Lordy
Old 09-28-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its not so much the drinking its the lies we make of our lives. I see other AAers in the store all we do is look in their baskets. I can hardley go in a store now without feeling guilty. I talk to my family on the phone and they say how are you but we all know the underlying question.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I talk to my family on the phone and they say how are you but we all know the underlying question.
Mm-hmm.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I talk to my family on the phone and they say how are you but we all know the underlying question.
Although I sympathise very much with what you are saying, I know that if I were to ask my brother if he has been drinking, how is your no drinking going, have you had a drink today, ARE YOU DRINKING, he would probably put the phone down on me or be very upset feeling that I didn't believe in him or his quest.

So I always just ask him if he is ok. He knows I love him.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a long history, different fror everyone. We never used the drinking word. Alcoholics all over the place but we never raised the issue.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hahahahahaha...I used 4 different booze shops and every single shop owner has asked me why I have stopped buying booze from them...Hehehe I think their profits must be down...
Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I worked in a grocery store...and yeah, we knew and commented to one another on people who stopped (or upped) their "usual" booze purchases.

We usually didn't comment to them that we'd noticed they'd quit buying, but often an honest "you really look good" was said to them. Not drinking shows in more ways than what's in the shopping basket.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I bought so much food I never ate just to cover what I craved. I think I doubled the price of a bottle. It is insanity but it seems so sane in the midst of it.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Your response was hilar, Fitz!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was just thinking this 1 hour after I woke up. I was going to post asking how many of us used multiple liquor stores so no one would notice I am a alcoholic. Oh boy when I was not in my right state of mind the things I would do thinking I was ahead of everyone and the worse part everyone was ahead of my game meaning, where I was going, where I would drink every move the reason why I know this because it was finally said to me that all in my family, my sons mother told me when I was doing it and they knew! My sons mother finally told me when I would make a lame excuse why I had to run to my car and then coming back in smelling like Vodka and Trident gum at the same time and the gum didn't help. My family said other things that I am not shocked I just thought they didn't know there is no evidence. Wow was I wrong!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A cashier at Trader Joes said to me, they sell so much booze, which he found ironic, because it was supposed to be kind of a health food store!

One of my favorite places to buy wine, was a drive through place - didn't even have to get out of the car!!! I'd rotate that with the grocery, Trader Joes and a gas station. Of course, I'd have my husband or daughter pick up wine too - so that helped "appearances"!

So glad to live honestly now....no subterfuge.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I was shocked when I quit drinking that the liquor store I frequented didn't shut down (although sales of Miller Genuine Draft did take a mysterious dip in late June of 2009)
Old 09-29-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can relate! I used to be embarrassed about buying wine because the check-out girls would always look at me funny. Sometimes I went back and bought several bottles in one day and tried to ignore their looks. Now, I only take the exact amount of cash I need to buy the things I need and if that means having $7 in my purse, then that's what I take. So even if I wanted to buy booze, I can't. I NEVER want to go back to drinking. Being hungover every day, having dry mouth, being puffy and slit-eyes, feeling fat and bloated and tired and nauseous. At the end, I wasn't even getting drunk on 2 bottles of white wine. It didn't even effect me.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

there was an old thread that was popular when I first joined SR in Feb. 2010...called changing up liquor stores.

I was always "having a party"......in reality, the party was me and my liver.