Notices

3 Days Sober, and In Jail Right Now

Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Days Sober, and In Jail Right Now

This is the 4th time I have been put in jail because of my drug addiction, right now I'm on the computers they have here to let us use once daily, all I have to say is I want to stop, I really do, but I need help. I found this site and was hoping someone could possibly give me some assistance. Any help would be appreciated.

Ex
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You acknowledge that you have a problem and are willing to seek help, these are great first steps. If you want to stay sober you need a plan. Finding meetings to attend on a daily basis helps a lot of people and is worth looking into.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for admitting you have a problem. I agree with Admiral, if you can go to meetings I would suggest going as often as you can. I always thought I was the only person that was thinking/feeling a certain way, going to meetings means you can meet others that have been there, done that and are recovering.
If there is a library see if they have the Big Book, and write down things that are relevant to you. I also found writing a pro and cons list for taking drugs/alcohol. I always thought I'd have loads more pro's but it really made me think.
Well done for taking this step, good luck, and visit this website as often as you can!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get to NA/AA as soon as you are able... and commit to it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Extrochris -

I'm sorry for your circumstances... I don't know anything about what your options are (how long you'll be in jail, whether you can talk to a counselor or get involved in AA there, if treatment is an option, etc.) but I'm glad you're reaching out today. Others here are proof that you can turn things around if you have the desire to do so.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Take advantage of the time you have on your hands to think about how you want to change your life. How do you want to see yourself a year from now? Know for sure that you can live a sober life.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find a ton of support here - welcome Extrochris

D
Old 09-27-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there! I know they have program (AA) in some jails, because in some meetings I go to, there are collections for bringing AA literature into prisons, and people I know who actually go in, and conduct meetings. I hope you are able to make one (or lots)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well today is day 4 of sober time, im feeling good physically and today i was transported temporarily to a place to be evaluated and that went well. Right now im just waiting on the judge to give the okay for me to be sent to a place called Specialized Treatment Facility, I wish I could go to meetings but im just stuck in a room all day long with nothing to do, but hey, at least im getting clean. Gimme some ideas of anything I could do if I cant leave a room and all I have is my Higher Power, a Bible, and an AP Biology textbook lol. Mann, a meeting would be so nice right now. Feedback please.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Ex,
You are in a virtual meeting. Isn't the internet great?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alright, here you go-- this is the AA "Big Book" (basic text)-- the whole thing, online! Happy reading!
www dot aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt dot cfm

Wouldn't let me post as a link b/c I don't have a high enough post count yet. So I put "dot" where the dots go.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are online meetings, if that's an option for you - most recovery groups have them now Chris.

D
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I travel a lot for work and when I have nothing else to do b/c of a delay or something, I often make lists. Meaningful lists about what I want from my life, what I'm doing or have done that isn't helping me reach my goals and then I reflect. It's not just about drinking/drugs. I feel I've made a lot of mistakes in my life or at least feel I should have turned left but turned right, went north instead of south.... There are people out there that remind me that it's never too late to go back left, you know what I mean? So I think about how I'd get there, what's standing in my way and who might help me. Start small, get used to the process and see if it works for you.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Glad you found us..

I have been behind bars a number of times due to addiction. If they have meetings I recommend going. Just to listen even. If not try to start one.

You can live free, and never return to that ****..
Old 09-28-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Extrochris View Post
Well today is day 4 of sober time, im feeling good physically and today i was transported temporarily to a place to be evaluated and that went well. Right now im just waiting on the judge to give the okay for me to be sent to a place called Specialized Treatment Facility, I wish I could go to meetings but im just stuck in a room all day long with nothing to do, but hey, at least im getting clean. Gimme some ideas of anything I could do if I cant leave a room and all I have is my Higher Power, a Bible, and an AP Biology textbook lol. Mann, a meeting would be so nice right now. Feedback please.
Let em know you'd love to catch a meeting....Maybe they can give you a Big Book.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Woo! I'm clean one week today, I feel great even though I'm still in jail, still waiting on that bed at STF. I wish I could stay confident all the time but I can't for some reason, I just feel like I'm going to fail at staying clean. I hope that I am clean from this point on for the rest of my life. I need more dang confidence, but I'm steadily rolling in self-pity and thoughts of inevitable failure. Do you guys have any tricks for boosting confidence about staying sober??
Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Extrochris View Post
Do you guys have any tricks for boosting confidence about staying sober??
Yeah...Working for it. I have 15 months today...Not because it fell in my lap...I had to put the effort into it I put into supplying myself with alcohol for 35 years. Are you still in jail?...Are you hitting meetings in jail?....I had a guy in my meeting yesterday that walked in straight from jail....He had a dollar in his pocket and is living in a homeless shelter....He threw the dollar in the basket and went to three meetings yesterday.....How do I know that?....I saw him this morning.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh...And congrats on one week!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Chris, it's going to take time, but the longer you stay clean the more your confidence will build. You CAN do this!! Glad you joined us here at SR
Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said, it's like any other skill or thing we learn...it takes time and a little practice

stick with it Chris - and congratulations on your week!

D