Notices

New here and hit rock bottom

Old 09-20-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sel

Unhappy New here and hit rock bottom

Hello all. I think it is time for me to admit that i have a drinking problem.

Last week I was caught drinking at work, i passed out and was takne to a hospital. I am now out on admin leave and waiting home to hear my fate. Most likely I will get fired.

I am a temporary Federal employee and I dont qualify for FMLA plus I kept telling everyone I am fine and it was a ine time thing, I dont have a problem.

But I realize now that I am not fine and I need help. If I lose my job I will probably be homeless soon. I am a single mother of 1 with no help from my ex. And I dont have family to help me out. I have been so stressed out for a long time because I have to be a mom, a dad, bread winner, no social life

I am so scared and I dont know what is waiting for me.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm sorry for your situation and the stress you're feeling. Do you have a family dr you can talk to? Have you stopped drinking? If not, please talk to your dr before detoxing because it can be dangerous. If you have stopped drinking, we are definitely here to support you. And, remember the best thing you can for yourself and your child is to stop drinking.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Please try not to project the future, just stay in today. Worrying about what might happen won't help anything and will just make you feel worse. Best thing to do is stop drinking, with a doctor's help to be safe, and work on improving yourself a little at a time.

Sending prayers your way.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sel

I had a bottle of vodka left today and I drank some last night. But this morning I made the decision that I have to stop because the embarrassment is too much.

So when my child came home today I told her I am done and I asked her to pour it out into the toilet. Unfortunately I am from overseas and we moved here only a year ago so I sont have any friends. I was out of a job for months so that also isolated me from going out meeting people, and because I am single I dont go out to bars, although I wanted to so many times.

I had enough embarrasments with family and even in public that I told them I had stopped drinking and have been lying.

I dont have a dr. And I have been reading all day about alcohol withdrawal symtpms, i have mild symptoms. But my job situation is killing me because if I cant pay for next months rent I will be out on the street and I dont have a family who can afford to pay for us.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Sel - good to have you here

Many parts of the US have free or low cost clinics - it would be worth checking out - detox can sometimes be tricky.

2-1-1 Call Center Search
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

Have you thought about something like AA, or a non 12 step alternative like SMART?

It might help, not only with support, but with meeting new people and establishing a real life sober network of friends?

D
Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They have some great AA in the DC area...We have a few members on this site from there.....I grew up in Fairfax myself. It might look good for your work if you started going to some meetings and it could also give you a chance to meet some people that would help you change your life. I know it saved my life. Is that something you would be open to?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sel

Sure anything that will help me I will do it. But I dont drive and I dont know how I could leave my child home alone.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kza

There are daytime meetings.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can bring the kid.....And you could take a bus or the metro if you had to. It might be good if you are contacted by work to tell them you have a problem and you have joined Alcoholics Anonymous....It sure can't hurt. What area are you in? I'll get you a list of meetings...There may be one you can walk to....AA is wonderful...You'll meet some incredibly nice people....And they have been where you are.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sel

I am in Falls Church area and I take the bus or train everywhere. I just hope it will help.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sel! I wish you the best of luck and I hope that your job situation works out. The most important thing is for you to get sober and healthy. There is help out there, you don't have to feel alone in this. And you can come to SR anytime and talk to us. We all understand what this is like and to be scared. Take care of yourself. And please be careful detoxing, you may need help with that. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

These are meetings for tomorrow....See if you are close to any of these.

Virginia AA - Area 71 of Alcoholics Anonymous - Meeting Search
Old 09-20-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That link isn't working...Give me a minute.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Now try it...

Virginia AA - Area 71 of Alcoholics Anonymous - Meeting Search
Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sel

Thank you the link works.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Are any of them close to you?...That's just the meetings for Friday...You can get each day on that site.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sel

Im still checking. Do i need a beginners meeting? Also is open meeting means they have room for newcomers? Or steps program is it better?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here is a site on what meetings are about...Be sure and keep reading and posting here also....Let us know how you are doing.....Some great support here.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Sel - You aren't alone anymore. Please let us know if you get to a meeting, and how you're doing. Praying that you'll have a good outcome and that you'll start reclaiming your life.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can go to any meeting....It's good to try different ones.....That site I just gave you explains them. Open means anyone can go...Closed is for members....To be a member you need a desire to stop drinking....I think you have that.