Any Medicaid Experience?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any Medicaid Experience?

I know nothing about Meicaid except my son was assigned to it a couple of years ago. He has appt. this week with infectious disease doctor and orthopedic surgeon and with pain management next week.

He hasn't seen a primary care physician in over a year and doesn't even live in the same area now. All of he new apps. Need a referral from a primary doctor. When that was attempted, the primary doc refused to write any because son hadn't seen him in over a year.

It was explained that this is a serious illness and the appts were in two days so there was no time for an appointment. What can be done? Does anyone know anything about the routine?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually Medicaid is a state run deal not federal.

He needs to go to the nearest Welfare Office where he now
lives to make sure his Medicaid is still active.

He can give the Dr office the Medicaid card and they will bill
Medicaid (which usually pays all. If they don't on this first
visit the Dr office will bill your son and he will then have to
fight with Medicaid at the Welfare Office to get them to pay
it.

CO is correct, It has to be IN PERSON, not by phone.

Medicaid usually does require a referral. Has he tried getting
one from the ER Dr? They have 'treated' him and I am sure
could and would give him a referral.

Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once again, Laurie is absolutely right. The States run the medicaid, even if you get Medicaid because you get SSI benefits, which is the only time the federal government is even involved in it. That is the only time that Social Security Office would have anything at all to do with it. They have nothing to do with payments of medicaid benefits.

Sure, it might be able to be done by phone, but I wouldn't. I worked for Social Security many many years ago. If you want something done, and hopefully done right, you meet someone face to face. You will get more of a feeling if they are actually trying to help you.

Do you know if he still gets a monthly medicaid card sent to him each month? If not he may need to reapply.

Also, please make sure that the Drs he is scheduled to see accept medicaid. If this is through a hospital can also talk to a social worker about uncompensated care, if he no longer has medicaid.

Check into his medicaid status first. Then go from there.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One other thing to know. Your son should go with you, or at least have a statement with you that he is authorizing you to act on his behalf, and he should be by the phone also to verify this. Government is really big on the privacy act and to tell you the truth,if you get a lazy worker it is one of the quickest ways to get rid of you. They will just say that they cannot discuss this with you, "It's the Privacy Act".

Just don't want you to waste a day there and get nothing accomplished
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good suggestions. Thanks. He does indeed need a referral, but couldn't get one prior to the appointments that are lined up, so he is going to get a back-dated one later.
Long day tomorrow with morning and afternoon appointments. His syptoms seems to change daily. I don't know what is going on. I don't want him to have infections, but if all of this is drug withdrawal or overuse of medications, well, let's just say I'm not going to be happy. Should know more tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check your states Medicaid web site my son lives in Mass and I live in Illinois and I was actually able to log on from here to secure a primary care phsycian and double check his coverage was ok. Most states have decent web sites now....good luck to you both
Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll check in tomorrow. Make sure things are ok. One other thing though,if you think that he would be disabled to work for a year or longer file for SSI, or Social Securty disability, if not and it is temp disability file for welfare for him. I wish you luck. Thinking of you...............hugs.....................