Notices

Hungover, looking for support

Old 09-15-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hungover, looking for support

After work yesterday I thought I would have a few beers. A few led to many and I ended up going to a bar by myself. Fortunately I made it home ok and didn't lose anything. I feel terrible today and I had to break two commitments that I had planned for today because of this hangover.

I had quit drinking earlier in the year for 6 months and was feeling great. One day that all went down the drain because i thought I could moderate my drinking. I can't do it.

I've been in bed all day and I have no motivation to do anything. I do not have an appetite and I feel miserable. I just want to get this out of my head. Any ideas for what I can do to feel better? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What did you do to quit for six months and feel great Mainza?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe it's time to think about doing something different for your recovery Mainza?

D
Old 09-15-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I signed up for a 20km run and trained for it. I ate healthier and browsed this site almost daily. I lived my life one day at a time. It is like I just fell off a cliff and all of my hard work was ruined. It has been so demoralizing to go from being in great shape and happy to alcoholic misery.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been in your position more times than I'd like to remember. The only thing to do is start over and with more effort. Find something to help your recovery whether it be AA, another program, counseling, intensive outpatient treatment - whatever it may be. I stay sober using counseling and this site and I'm coming up on three years so yes, it can be done.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dust yourself off and keep walking. You've done it before so that means you can do it again. As for ideas to feel better? Water and food.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mainza View Post
I signed up for a 20km run and trained for it. I ate healthier and browsed this site almost daily. I lived my life one day at a time. It is like I just fell off a cliff and all of my hard work was ruined. It has been so demoralizing to go from being in great shape and happy to alcoholic misery.
You have to find something that prepares you for when you get to the edge of that cliff....Some kind of recovery plan...Running and eating healthy is great...You might want to look into some recovery programs to go along with that.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry you are struggling mainza,keep yourself well hydrated with water.

Look into a recovery programme,so that you have a defence against the first drink.

Wishing you well.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You have to find something that prepares you for when you get to the edge of that cliff....Some kind of recovery plan...Running and eating healthy is great...You might want to look into some recovery programs to go along with that.
There are many many times when I am talking to my sponsor about how I feel, or what so and so did, etc etc...and he knows those are the sorts of things that led to my drinking/drugging in my past...he says "Now aren't you glad you have a program?"

and I AM. Because a program, an itinerary to follow when I'm starting to lose my way make ALL the difference. Studying, practicing, thinking and planning on my good days keeps me from getting all kinda stupid on my not so good days.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Exactly Threshold....I had to change my thinking....My thinking is what got me into the trouble I was in to begin with. You hear it said....Left to my own devices....MMMmmmm.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another of lifes lesson's learned..
Wish you well.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mainza, all your hard work is NOT ruined....your have the experience of 6 months sober to tap into....that's a great head start, no?

You can't moderate...you KNOW that now.

I know your feel like absolute sh*t right now...but that will lift.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. I do need a program to follow and I am looking at Rational Recovery.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mainza - Maybe you needed a little more convincing that you can't touch the stuff. I had so many 'day ones', but now I finally am finished with it. I've proven to myself over & over that one drink ALWAYS leads to being drunk and stupid. I was a slow learner.

Glad you are back, and even more determined to feel good again. We're with you.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. I do need a program to follow and I am looking at Rational Recovery.
Give it all you got!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Routing for ya .
Old 09-16-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Awesome! Nothing like a strong "infrastructure" to help us get where we're going! A map, and some input from friends who've made the trip help too!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hangovers always make us feel more miserable and more depressed.

Tomorrow is a new (sober) day so just make sure you do everything to look after yourself today to make you feel better.

You can do it Think positive