Notices

Advice needed please

Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed please

Hi all,

Ok... i have admitted to those around me that I have a drinking problem. Now that I have got over that hurdle my new hurdle is those around me. My oldest sister, who is 40 is a BIG drinker and when she visits (weekly) she constantly tries to encourage me too drink. I have told her I am doing my very best to avoid alcohol but yesterday she said 'bloody alcoholics are constantly ruining my fun'. I agreed with her as I thought she must have a pretty bad problem herself to try to encourage me when she knows my problem.

I said No to the drink yesterday but she plants the seed in my head all the time. And today - low and behold - I am drinking Vodka.

I do not think she is to blame in anyway and i have told her them when someone starts mentioning me drinking i start to question myself all over again.

Has anyone had these sort of problems? If so, any advice on dealing with this is really welcome.
I don't have any friends as I have not long moved and she is my only family local. (although I do have my son 21, and Husband).

I don't want to cut her off as I love her dearly but really could use some advice guys! Love you all x
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Perhaps you could keep a distance from your sister or others who encourage you to drink when you are trying not to, at least until you have gotten a few of your goals achieved as far as your sobriety. Maybe when you have a good bit of time invested in your sobriety you could better withstand the influence of others. You can do it! Don't let this get you down. Put the vodka out of the house and get going, girl!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I am avoiding my siblings -- it seems we cannot hang out without alcohol. I am sure they are pissed with me but hoping it will pass. ugh.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

When I was in that situation, it was time for ME to make a decision.

Today, my family member and I are BOTH sober in AA. It took him longer to come in, but today our relationship is the best it's ever been. I am so grateful for that!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pour out the vodka.....you won't regret that! If I were in your shoes, I'd tell my sister how dearly I love her, but can't drink. See what she says? Maybe there is something you could do together that doesn't involve alcohol?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first thought is to tell your sister that you have a big drinking problem, as she already knows, and you can not be around drinking right now. Tell her it is not a blame thing, it is just the way it is. If she wants to see you, she needs to respect you enough not to bring alcohol around you right now. Find some sober friends - through AA maybe? You could end up turning around things for your sister by her seeing how well you are feeling and looking on down the road. Tell her you love her and want to see her but you absolutely can not be around alcohol right now. It is killing you. (and know that that is true!)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You will have to decide what is more important at this time... getting sober or your imbibing sister.

I attend AA meetings regularly, that works for me. You will have to find your own way.

All the best.

Bob R.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
When I was in that situation, it was time for ME to make a decision.

Today, my family member and I are BOTH sober in AA. It took him longer to come in, but today our relationship is the best it's ever been. I am so grateful for that!!!
I'm hoping for this result with my brother...Good to see you mfanch.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
I am avoiding my siblings -- it seems we cannot hang out without alcohol. I am sure they are pissed with me but hoping it will pass. ugh.
Precise and to the point. This is how I feel. It's unfortunate that you must avoid family but not nearly as unfortunate as ruining your life with alcohol by putting yourself at risk. I am in the same boat on this one. I think that in time, as all things do, it will pass. Thanks for this post!

God bless!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear Lakia,

sorry to hear of your troubles, you are in safe hands here and I am sure you will get help.

My suggestion would be that you let your sister read your post.

Simples:>

You know that you need to do something and that is a great start.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so very important, crucial even, to put your needs first at this time. Don't worry about your sister and her issues right now. I had to avoid family members too, and certainly friends who would drink, because I couldn't manage to be around alcohol.