Notices

Moderating my drinking - ha ha ha ha!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moderating my drinking - ha ha ha ha!

So I just searched online for information about moderating my drinking. I know, it's a fools game but give me a tiny bit of slack here, I am still learning.

So I find a site and am happily reading away when I get to the part that says "moderate drinking is about consuming without getting drunk"

The first thought that popped into my head was: "Are you kidding me? What's the point?"

That's when I started laughing at myself... Ok, no moderate drinking for me.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ha ha....exactly....why bother So much easier to not drink any alcohol, than try to moderate.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

drinking in moderation is an issue for me too! Because I have no idea how to do that. For some reason I drink my drinks like there's never ever going to be anymore!! Then I get annoyed and look to the bartender like ummm hello why isn't there a fresh drink in front of me? Mean while they're probably thinking hold your horses there alchey!! I don't ever feel drunk. I'm just blacked out all the sudden and I have to spend the next day apoligizing for my actions.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience exactly, AlaskaGirl. Nice concept, moderation, but I don't know anyone who needs it that it works for.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a great topic. My pathetic attempts at moderation were awful. Not the least bit enjoyable. Moderation is when the tension between my addiction and my desire to abstain was at its absolute peak. The alcoholic obsession amplified, its dial cranked up to 10. Ugh, I get tense just thinking about it, lol..

Breaking free of that obsession is definitely on my list of top 10 recovery rewards.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I never even tried to moderate my drinking, not really. I would marginally restrain myself at times until I was able to remove those commitments and responsibilities and drink freely. It would have been agony for me, and the folks who believe that this is possible for them have my sincere sympathies.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ready & Fresh, both of you always post things that resignate with me, thanks again for your help and patience.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found that attempts at moderation just made the beast mad. I would be tortured with thoughts of drinking, counting down the hours until "beer thirty" then either go to bed thirsty or or more often savagely wasted. Then I would wonder what happened to moderation, shrug, and hit it again as usual, right after coffee. The only way I personally can control my drinking is to turn it all the way off. It really sucked for a while but now it gets better every day.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

This dense alcoholic keep trying to find the loop hole in that also..

This is what I think about it now...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html

Enjoy the weekend sober and safe..
Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was the same way when it come to alcohol. Why drink it if I can't get drunk. I try moderating my drinking which is not hard for me to do. I can have 1 beer as long as I don't drink 4 beers but if I hit the drunk stage then it was all down hill from there. I found it easier to not drink and not worry about if I get drunk.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh I can't remember how many times I set myself 'limits'.
No point whatsoever! I only drank to get utterly wasted. I was either sober or fall-down drunk, no middle ground for me.
The moment I gave up pretending there was ever the remotest chance I could moderate was when my life really started x
Old 09-01-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No such thing a moderation for me, once I start I don't know when to stop!

I have tried it, not having a drink until after 21.00, only drinking at weekends etc. Doesn't work, no way, it's all or nothing for me, so nothing it is and I'm much better for it.

Big hugs

Gxxxx
Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I spent half a lifetime trying to moderate my drinking, and after 40 years, a small fortune, physical and mental problems, no friends or family (abject misery) I finally got the message and GAVE UP DRINKING!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried and failed to moderate many times, I'd start off ok and slowly the intake would start to ramp up. This time round I decided it was just easier to quit, I debated with myself whether I was an alkie or not, not helped by the fact that many so called normal drinkers think I don't have a problem. Eventually I decided whether I was or not, what the point in continuing drinking? The empty calories, the hangovers, the cost, the fear that I would get an emergency call when drunk (this actually happened two years ago, I had to get a taxi to the hospital although I have never sobered up so quick in my life).

Alcohol gives us nothing and can take everything, we are better off without it, x