Notices

Trying to get off of Suboxone

Old 08-26-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to get off of Suboxone

Hi~

I am new here and I have been abusing vicodin for about 2 years, taking up to 7 a day by the end of it. I went on suboxone last October and now I want to get off of it. It's too expensive and the dr I am seeing is NOT helping. I think she is just pushing the stuff. I have run out of it and I had to get some vicodin on Friday to help with the withdrawls . I was taking 3-5 2mg a day of suboxone but really started to taper off last week since I ran out of my subscription and my dr is not back from vaca until 9.11, but I want to stop seeing her.

Anyway, I wanted to know how people have kicked suboxone. I really felt withdrawls on Friday. It was not fun. Just like reading what people have posted, the no energy, hot/cold feelings, anxiety etc. Mornings are the worst feeling EVER!!! I just don't want to get out of bed.

I think I am going to start taking more vitamins and uping my vitamin D too. Also, should I stop with the vicodin too?!?! It is helping with the withdrawls but that will run out soon as I only have 20 and I am taking 3 a day.

I just want my life back!!!!

~Jennifer
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Greetings & welcome to SR! A great first step, and congrats on your desire to be sober! You will find lots of great support here.

I dunno... am I correct in that you mean you were taking 6-10mg/day suboxone before you jumped? Suboxone has a very long half-life (2-3 days). I was down to 1mg/day for several months before I kicked and it was still tough.

Taking opiates (vicodin) to avoid opiate withdrawal is not gonna work. You are prolonging the inevitable. That's how we all ended up in that wicked cycle, right?

My advice would be to talk to your doc office... if she's on vacation for that long there should be someone covering for her. Tell them you want off the subs and they can provide you with an appropriate taper plan.

Otherwise, were it me, I would flush the vics, plan on being down with the flu for a week to 10 days, get to some meetings to meet some people who have done this before face to face, and garner all the support you can.

How bad do you want to be clean? What are you willing to do to achieve that goal? Answer those questions honestly to yourself. Your life hinges on the answers.

Best wishes. I am usually around for support and to offer my opinions, if desired.

40+ days sober off 4 years on suboxone and 10+ years of active opiate addiction before that.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dragonfire613 View Post
Greetings & welcome to SR! A great first step, and congrats on your desire to be sober! You will find lots of great support here.

I dunno... am I correct in that you mean you were taking 6-10mg/day suboxone before you jumped? Suboxone has a very long half-life (2-3 days). I was down to 1mg/day for several months before I kicked and it was still tough.

Taking opiates (vicodin) to avoid opiate withdrawal is not gonna work. You are prolonging the inevitable. That's how we all ended up in that wicked cycle, right?

My advice would be to talk to your doc office... if she's on vacation for that long there should be someone covering for her. Tell them you want off the subs and they can provide you with an appropriate taper plan.

Otherwise, were it me, I would flush the vics, plan on being down with the flu for a week to 10 days, get to some meetings to meet some people who have done this before face to face, and garner all the support you can.

How bad do you want to be clean? What are you willing to do to achieve that goal? Answer those questions honestly to yourself. Your life hinges on the answers.

Best wishes. I am usually around for support and to offer my opinions, if desired.

40+ days sober off 4 years on suboxone and 10+ years of active opiate addiction before that.
Ya...I have been reading your posts about this stuff. It has helped. Did you lose weight going off of suboxone too? No, last week I was only taking about two 2mg of suboxone. I started the taper last week knowing I was running out and my dr would be on vaca. Also, there is no one else at her office. Just a receptionist/business manager.

I knew taking the vicodin was bad and you are right I will flush them down the toilet!!! I feel a little better this morning. I took some Vitamin D and some glucose last night before bed. I didn't sleep very well. It was like I was asleep but still restless?!?! Does that make sense? Also, very weird dreams. I am not having the major bad symptoms that you had but last Friday and Saturday was NOT fun!!!

Also, I read that coffee doesn't help the symptoms?!?! Did that happen to you too?

Thank you~~
Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Yeah your sleep is gonna be wacked out for awhile most likely... but it keeps getting better as time goes on. Seems like the first week I hardly slept at all, then got into sleeping ok every other night, then most nights, and now I've been sleeping great except for one night a week or so ago. I haven't had many dreams I remember (never have), but that may vary from person to person. I keep expecting some vivid using dreams, as that happened some with my previous long-run clean time many years back, but so far so good.

I lost 15 lbs through the first 2 weeks or so of my detox... most of it was water weight I think cuz I had the runs so bad and could only handle drinking so much water/gatorade... and had very little appetite early on. Even though I've continued to eat healthy and exercise, I've put back on 5 of those lbs when I weighed myself the other day.

Honestly, I'd be very freakin' proud and impressed with you if you can make yourself flush those vics. I had two very bad "white-knuckle" days where I was paralyzed with anxiety and couldn't make myself do anything other than stare at the clock or read/write here on SR. If I had had access to any opiates on those 2 days I dunno if I would even be here now... certainly not to 40 days sober at this point. I would have caved, when I was only a couple days of being out of that and having the willpower to say no. I am always infinitely proud of anyone who can make it through with access close at hand... something I don't think I could have done, even as determined as I was to get through it.

Exercise is the biggest help I found through my detox. I made myself get off the couch and walk at least a few miles (enough to work up a sweat) most every day, even when I didn't think I could do it, and certainly hated every minute of it... afterward I always felt better and more positive and like I had accomplished something. It stuck. Even now if I don't exercise at least every other day, I start to get anxious and fidgety and know its time to work up a sweat. So even if you feel like you're dying, if you can make yourself exercise I promise it will be a big benefit and aid in getting through the hardest days.

I can't say for sure that coffee doesn't help symptoms, but I was a nervous, anxious wreck to start with in the early days and figured it wasn't going to help me in any way that I needed, so I cut it out for a few weeks. I'm back to a cup of coffee in the mornings most days, and haven't noticed it really affecting me one way or the other. Like detox experiences in general, it may just depend on the person.

I really hope you can avoid the worst of what I went through, that would be great. Mindset and positivity play a key role. Those worst 2 days for me, when I say I would have caved, I kind of got into focusing on the negative and how horrible I felt which did not do me any favors... but it was what it was, and I'm glad I made it through so far with no relapses.

You can do it! Just think of it like you have the flu... you are stuck with it once you get it, and know that it will pass with time. Keep it up!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I took two vicodin this morning I caved!!! I probably didn't need to take it but I am so used to taking something. It's a habit!?!?! Anyway, there is no looking back now. I can't get anymore vicodin and I am done with the suboxone. I hate that stuff!!! I had NO idea that you could get withdrawls from it. The dr. never told me about it. I guess I should have read about it a little bit more.

I am really taking my vitamins and drinking lots of vitamin C. I took a B 6/12 vitamin and Vitamin D and the glucose again this morning. I will take it again tonight, probably not the B vitamins. I just want to get my immune system up so morning are not so brutal.

It's weird because I know being active will help but I just don't have the energy. I always want to sit down.

I honestly don't think my withdrawls are as bad as you went through them and I am so sorry and amazed that you didn't it!!! I also think it's mind over body too!!! If my mind is strong I can do this. Also, turning it over to GOD!!! I have been praying a ton!!!

When did you start feeling "normal" again!?!? I don't even know what that will feel like, I don't thinkl?!?!? LOL!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep well again last night. I woke up at 3:30am and couldn't fall back to sleep UGH!!!!

Anyway, once I got up and got moving I am feeling a little better. My muscles still feel a little weak but I think my vitamin routine is helping
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

Sorry I haven't been around. Found out today I'm losing my job, so my mind isn't exactly in a good place.

Turning it over to God and praying helps too. I believe the higher power answers prayers, truly.

Sleeping will suck for awhile. Try to sleep when you can at night... try to avoid napping if you find yourself able to sleep in the day. Melatonin seemed to help me sleep longer through the night, but it didn't work any miracles for me.

Getting through the first week is hardest... after that it gets easier as time goes on. I'll check back in later & respond to your pm.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am super sorry to hear about your job

Sending prayers your way
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar

Hi dragon fire, your story sounds similar to mine, as far as the amount of time you were on sub, and I can't tell you how encouraging it is to hear a success story after several years on the stuff. I am trying to plan a taper and would love a friend to talk to. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My computer is out and I am using my phone, so that is why these posts may look odd by the way😒