Addicted brother overdosed don't think he will survive

Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted brother overdosed don't think he will survive

I have often lurked here.It is comforting to know other people are going thru this also.My brother is 32 and a heroin addict.He has also taken other drugs but it started with marijuana when he was a teenager. He has been in and out of rehab and jail numerous times. For the past 6 weeks since he came out of jail he has been clean. It was the first time in many years that we saw him act like his normal old self. On Thursday he was found at work with a needle in his hand and not breathing. They had to perform cpr and shock him twice. Now his brain is swollen and he is unconcious. The neurologist that saw him today will be testing him tomorrow for brain activity and if there is none then my parents will have to decide to take him off of life support. Needless to say we are all devastated. We all keep going back and forth between sadness, anger and then guilt, trying to think of more that we could have done to help. It just seems so unfair as he has a 2 year old son that will never get to know his daddy. How do we get thru this ?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry Lisa - prayers for you and all your family.

I'm not sure how you get through something like this exactly - except you do - lean on your family - and have them lean on you.

There's a lot of support here too - I'm glad you posted.

D
Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Lisa,

I'm so incredibly sorry to hear about this! I just hate addiction!!!

I'll keep your brother, you, and your whole family in my prayers.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry. There is really no comprehending such tragedies. I understand your feelings, but truly there is nothing you could have done to help. This is your brother's battle. If our love and concern could stop drug use, there would be no addiction. I know it is easier said than done to eliminate those feelings of guilt, but please try not to beat yourself up.

My prayers are with you, your brother and your family. I lost my daughter to an overdose, so I think I know a little of how your are feeling.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I too am sorry, honestly there was nothing you or anyone could have done, it was all up to him.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Lisa. My son is a heroin addict, too... so this hits real close to home. My heart is so heavy for you all. You have my prayers tonight.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Prayers for your brother and all who love him.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am so sorry!!! Your brother, you and your family are in my prayers!

ETA: My prayers go out to all who are fighting addiction and their loved ones!!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

keeping you in my thoughts...so sorry, lisa.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Lisa)) - I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through. Not only do I have loved ones who are addicts, I'm a recovering addict. I promise you, there is nothing you or your family could have done...we addicts don't stop until we're ready and some never reach that point.

Many hugs and prayers to you, your family and all who love your brother,

Amy
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are in my prayers. I am so very sorry you have to go through this.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Lisa...

There was nothing that you or your parents, or anyone, could have done to prevent this from happening. That's the awful truth.

I am so, so sorry. Please stay in touch with us. We'll all be here for you.

ZoSo
Old 08-26-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lisa, I am so, sorry to hear about your brother I know that terrible anguish of waiting on those test we just did that with my brother 3 years ago. I first would like to say there is nothing any of you could have done your brother is the only one who can stop his addiction.

How do you get through this, one day at a time and prayer if you have a HP... that is really the only way. Your brother and family will be in my prayers.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((((Lisa))))) I'm so very sorry for this horrible situation. Please don't try and second guess the shoulda, woulda, coulda. If families could do anything to fix our addicts that we love, there wouldn't be addicts. There's nothing you could have done. I just pray for your family's well-being and peace of mind through this difficult time. May God bless you all. I care.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lisa
I'm so sorry.....words of comfort are so hard to find at a time like this. I hope that you and your family find comfort knowing that he tried to overcome this cunning and baffling disease. You all love him and he knows that.

Your brother and all who love him will be in my prayers today.

gentle gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh my Dear, I am sorry to hear about your brother. I have been close to this--my AD was in the ICU for 2 weeks from a heroin overdose. Sometimes they tell you the worst to prepare you. Sometimes they don't say what they most fear. In any case, it is in God's hands now. I will keep you & your brother in my prayers. Try to rest, get some sleep. Remember to eat some healthy foods. It helps tremendously for those of us who aren't the patients.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lisa- I am sorry. My AD overdosed last year and survived although I only learned about this recently. I think she expected me to be upset when she told me but I have known for a long time that drugs could be the end of her. I guess accepted that it is her choice to take (or not take) risks with her life. You and your brother will be in my prayers.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still Standing

I am so sorry, Lisa, that you are going through this horror. It's wonderful that you & your family got to see your real brother, back like himself, before this happened. I know that you will cherish that time with him forever, no matter what the outcome is. I know that you all must be so proud of him for trying so hard to get clean & sober. It's just so hard to completely give up something that you are addicted to. It is also true that there is absolutely Nothing that you or your family could have done to heal him. You did all that he needed you to do, by loving him so much no matter what. I am so sorry that you and your family are hurting.
****************{Caring Hugs}}}}}}}}}
Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,

My heart breaks every time I read someone else going through such anguish with their addicted loved ones. I think I will be repeating what others said very well above, that out of all of this, please do not blame yourself with anything you 'could have', 'should have', 'would have' done. Your brother made these choices on his own and yes, they were pretty bad ones. I just lost my AH (we were separated) due to an overdose two weeks ago.

No amount of blaming oneself AND/or others will help anything. It just makes our hearts heavier and the situation worse. I am praying for you... your family and brother as well as his little one and his partner. Everyone is suffering here... and I hope that you will find some comfort and solace during this time.

Big hugs to you this eve,
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dear Lisa, You are in my thoughts and prayers for this tragic loss. I lost my Mother in February ( cancer) . Grief is part of life, though it is so painful to go through. I understand and am sending my prayers for you and your family to deal with this pain. Might I suggest you visit the spirituality or grief and loss site here on SR for some additional support.
Hugs,
Teresa