Notices

Forget how painful drinking is until you do it.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Forget how painful drinking is until you do it.

Does this sound familiar? Being clean and sober for a good month or two, then for some ridiculous reason you think going to the bar is a good idea. Wakeup the next day with no idea what happened, an empty wallet, a pissed off family and a disgusted heartbroken girlfriend (because you swore you would stop drinking 8 times by now). You then Swear to yourself you will NEVER do it again until a few months pass, and you forget the mental, emotional, and physical pain drinking brings you. So then you come on here while you are still feeling like absolute crap because you feel like its the only place you can turn. I've ruined my life multiple times because of my drinking, you would think by now I wouldn't touch a sip of beer, it is absolutely baffling how much addiction can take over your choices and your mind.

So here we go again, starting again, on day 2. Think I need to start going back to meetings, may God help me through this.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the word "alcoholISM", the ISM stands for incredibly short memory.

Today's "24 hrs -A-Day" post covers our malady well.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hours-day.html

I keep going to my AA meetings regularly so the newcomer can remind me that nothing has changed out there for an alcoholic like me....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh yea that sounds all to familiar . Just thought I would share some of what I did and do to . I hope it can help just a bit. You can be free.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Flippt. I guess we always think we'll have a different outcome - that this time we'll be able to magically control the amounts we drink. We'll just have one or two to relax.

It took me many years to finally realize I couldn't touch the stuff. Not a sip. I couldn't believe willpower alone would never be enough - and almost died proving that. Maybe this will be the last time you have to go through this. It's much easier to quit than to keep picking up the pieces of your life and trying to start over.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Flippt

I found that the best way to break the forgetting cycle was to work on simply accepting my drinking days are done.

I tried to make myself work hard in that period when I didn't want anything to do with drink - and then tried even harder to keep it up...even when I felt like 'I didn't have a problem', 'I was overreacting then' etc etc. as I inevitably did after a week or two.

If meetings will help you, then do it

Posting here regularly helped me - it's hard to argue with blocks of text that show clearly you do have a problem.

D

work hard during the times when
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. We've all said the "this time will be different" thing before many times I'm sure, but yknow what?

THIS time WILL be different, in regards to staying sober! I hope!!! Still so hungover from 2 days ago, going to maybe have a bath and try to calm down. I don't ever want to feel like this again. But how many times have I said that.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

God will indeed help you my friend, as will everyone here! The "circle" of relapse that you talk about is indeed very hard to break. You can do it though my friend!

God Bless!