Advice on JSA please

Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on JSA please

Help! My AH has just lost the incapacity benefit he has been on for 4 years and for the first time in my life I am unemployed. We went to the benefit office to make a joint claim. We had agreed, when he was sober, that all the money would have to go into my account, for obvious reasons!!
Somehow, he forgot this when he filled in the initial claim form and benefit is due to be paid to him! All the direct debits, food etc come out of my account. Not only have I lost my job, but my child tax credits finished last month. For the first time I have no income whatsoever.
No prizes for guessing what will happen to any money he gets hold of! In these circumstances, does anyone know whether the DSS will take pity and pay my half into my account, so we do not starve and the lights will stay on?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsH View Post
...All the direct debits, food etc come out of my account. ...
I'm not sure of how that works in your country. Couldn't you change all of the above debits to come out of HIS account then. I love how he "forgot" and put it in him name. *sighs*
Old 08-11-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi, you can easily change the account that the benefit is paid into, just phone up the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) I did it a few months ago. As it is in joint names you could probably do it yourself but they might ask your husband to come on the phone to pass some security questions. I don't know if they would split the money between the two accounts. They are all jobsworths! I wish you loads of luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I am going for an interview with an advisor tomorrow. I will see what they can do!
Another question. I am busy looking for work and posting CVs. He isn't. Obviously, I have applied to a couple of jobs on his behalf, but if he refuses to actively look for work, do we both lose benefit?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JrsJourney View Post
I'm not sure of how that works in your country. Couldn't you change all of the above debits to come out of HIS account then. I love how he "forgot" and put it in him name. *sighs*
I could, but then they just wouldn't get paid and I will end up sitting in the dark further in debt!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Phone the JobCentre, you will probably need the benefits delivery office but I only have the number for the Liverpool office. They will be able to advise you on changing the bank account. If the worst happens, phone crisis loan. They're awkward but if you're truly in trouble they'll help you. Has your child left full time education?
They won't split the money though, it's one payment only. I THINK they will only need to speak to you regarding changing the account it's paid into as my ex closed our claim without anyone contacting me. I used to work for the JobCentre, they're not all jobs worthy I promise
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

Try this website, they will do an assessment on your benefit situation and what you should be entitled to. Good luck to you

Turn2us - to access benefits and grants