Notices

Drinking Alone

Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Alone

I was just curious on how many of you chose to drink alone. I was one of those people, even if I was going out with my friends I would still drink by myself before going out. For a long time my friends never even realized since I was so composed when drunk.

I was never depressed when drinking alone however, I really did enjoy it at the time, of course the alcohol was giving me a false sense of happiness. I would literally just sit in my room and drink vodka while being on the computer, playing video games, watching tv etc.

I always assumed that the majority of alcoholics liked to drink alone, am I wrong thinking this?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i most always drank alone...like you on the computer etc. i just liked maintaining a state of comfortably numb most of the day. i was a composed drunk ~ just gets to the point it takes more & more after awhile to do that :/
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly grew to prefer that way - less chance of embarrassment...I didn't need to be social...and I could drink as much as I wanted.

Sickness in full bloom now I look back at it.

D
Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I drank alone exclusively. Of course, by the end, everyone knew I was an alcoholic so I couldn't drink in public.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

People just got on my nerves and it was expensive to drink in the outside world. Also everyone needed to cater to my demands when we went out and when they didn't I would leave to drink alone.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

yep, drank my beer alone.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

same here. that way no one would see how much I drank.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I certainly grew to prefer that way - less chance of embarrassment...I didn't need to be social...and I could drink as much as I wanted.

Sickness in full bloom now I look back at it.

D
word for word exactly what i was going to write ...
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me also
Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same here.....starting drinking with other people but as the drinking behaviors got worse, I would prefer to drink alone.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I drank alone and I loved it. That was when I could really get into my alcoholic zone and forget the world. I'd drink bottle after bottle of wine and chain smoke until the next morning came. A lot of the time I'd go out with friends... drink with them, but secretly be waiting for when we left, so that I could go home and continue drinking by myself...

Can't even imagine doing that, now.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
A lot of the time I'd go out with friends... drink with them, but secretly be waiting for when we left, so that I could go home and continue drinking by myself...
Yes, that looks familiar. I couldn't shut down my desire for alcohol like most people. I would go home and have still more. Then, all too often, wind up missing what was important to me the following day. Then, feel ashamed for sleeping the day away and hiding my extra drinks from others. Then, start the cycle all over again.

Never again.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drank both socially and *alone* (but alone meant at home, in the company of my husband and kids.) Now, I hate to think that my little ones were with a drunk mom, even if they didn't know it at the time.

I grew up with drunk parents, and don't want that for my children. Not at all. Feels so much better to be sober, not just for me but for them.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueshades View Post
Yes, that looks familiar. I couldn't shut down my desire for alcohol like most people. I would go home and have still more. Then, all too often, wind up missing what was important to me the following day. Then, feel ashamed for sleeping the day away and hiding my extra drinks from others. Then, start the cycle all over again.

Never again.
Yep... exactly that.

How FANTASTIC does it feel to not be there any longer?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think of my drinking becoming a problem when I started drinking alone, a year later I preferred it that way and a year later I stopped. Years ago I could NEVER understand peeps who drank alone, crept up on me it did!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I never really found it a problem to avoid drinking when I went out - it never tempted me in the same way because I would always not want to get too drunk so people could tell - I realise this is probably different to a lot of people on here.

But, I have always been a bit of a loner - only child, single parent who worked all hours - so my solace would be drinking alone. That's just the way it was, I still spend most of my time alone, just sober now.

I would buy vodka and then later cider and just drink to make the TV show more entertaining, to make my gaming more fun or to just get out of my head. I was using it to dispel boredom, I think. Over the years, I was spending a lot of money and making myself constantly sick by something that I now hated the taste of to sit alone and be more bored.

Drinking was always there for me as the... what if? If I drink, this might happen, that will be fun! If I drink, this thing will be brilliant - and even better, unpredictable!

As I've said before, the joy in being sober now is the predictability of my sane state of mind and, ironically, the fact that it does push me to think of different things, do different things and act in a more positive and better way.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank at home alone and liked it that way. I could drink as much as I wanted and no one would know... except my kids at home who were very aware of my drinking...
Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Drinking with other people wasn't proper drinking. I came to loath going out because it stopped me drinking properly. I used to love coming home so I could start drinking! Now I can enjoy social occasions for what they are rather than seeing them as interfering with my drinking schedule.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Absolutely drank at home, alone. Too damn expensive to drink the mass quantities I wanted as well as a huge risk driving. Much easier to wallow in my pathetic drunkeness out of the sight of others - we must keep up appearances. Lord, so glad those days are gone!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

"I never really found it a problem to avoid drinking when I went out - it never tempted me in the same way because I would always not want to get too drunk so people could tell - I realise this is probably different to a lot of people on here."

I bet more of us did this than you realize. I didn't drink with others when I went out for many reasons!

Being in public today and not drinking alcohol doesn't bother me one bit!