Notices

Drinking Alone

Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I could be in a crowd and drink alone .....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yep greatly preferred to drink alone, with a book, movie, the internet or a guitar.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank "alone" at home. Alone is in quotes because my son was here with his mother who sipped the night away and got drunk. My drinking really started to effect our relationship about 5 years ago, when he was in his late teens. He's painted "She loves the bottle more than she loves me. WHY?" on his bedroom wall.

It will stay there until I have a year's sobriety under my belt.

Part of drinking alone was hiding it from others and then just wanting to be alone. Also, I won't drink and drive.

All of my work events included alcohol. I never went to any of them, because of the long drive back home and because I did not want to risk starting drinking or not knowing when to stop or being around people who were drinking too much.

If I did go out for dinner, I'd have a virgin cocktail before dinner and two glasses of wine, waiting to go home and have a "real drink", my drink of choice.

I can relate to all of you, most especially Yayday, Silence12 and Least.

Prodigy, thanks for this thread.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

me too, no one knows how much I was drinking except hubby who was my partner in crime. I found it very easy to drink at home and conceel how much I was really drinking
Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yep me too. Didn't like to have to be slowed down by pacing myself with my friends instead of gulping it down like I wanted to. I also didn't want people to think less of me. So I drank alone, missing out on what was going on in my own house with my husband and son because I would shut myself in a different room from them so I could drink and forget my life. Still feel guilty about that...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You are correct. It felt great to drink alone or socially.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
I was just curious on how many of you chose to drink alone. I was one of those people, even if I was going out with my friends I would still drink by myself before going out. For a long time my friends never even realized since I was so composed when drunk.

I was never depressed when drinking alone however, I really did enjoy it at the time, of course the alcohol was giving me a false sense of happiness. I would literally just sit in my room and drink vodka while being on the computer, playing video games, watching tv etc.

I always assumed that the majority of alcoholics liked to drink alone, am I wrong thinking this?

Wow...that described me almost exact. Prior to me downing at least a bottle of wine alone every night, I was a party drunk. I would "pre-game" before I went out to save money. I was also one of those that kept my composure pretty well when I was out so people would always question how I stayed so sober after all the shots of Jager.

Towards the end, I drank just to get slightly buzzed to drunk at my house, then when I was out, I'd drink until I blacked out.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I was a binge drinker and up until the last 3 months of drinking NEVER drank alone. I would make up social situations just to be able to drink. I loved to be around people drinking. I found it very boring alone. The last three months I just drank whenever I felt like it and didn't care if I was alone. I would call and text people the whole time though.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Preferred to drink alone, or with my husband, at home. Cracked a bottle of wine at 4 - slipped into the garden, worked on pond.....lost interest in dinner....fell asleep by 7 or 8 pm Sober I was amazed how many of my neighbors take evening walks.....and stores existed at that hour of the day!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

In my quest for sobriety, I find that the easiest times to not drink are when I'm out with friends and family. Even when they are drinking heavily. The hardest times are when I'm alone. The urge to go grab a bottle and dig into housework or a project and lose myself is so extreme it's difficult to think straight.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When I didn't have a problem with alcohol, I would drink in public but when it became a problem I drank alone. I didn't want to be bother with anyone. Cheaper and I have my thoughts over think about stuff. Plus, I didn't have to worry about passing out and think what I did the next day.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
I always assumed that the majority of alcoholics liked to drink alone, am I wrong thinking this?
I wanted to add to my post that I think this is a misconception by many people - people who drink alone are the only alcoholics. I've seen many people post as status updates "I need some one to come over and drink with me so I don't feel like an alcoholic."

Alcoholics drink when they want to, alone or not. It depends on your reason behind drinking and where YOU are comfortable drinking. I started out as a binge party drinker turned daily drinker (regardless of company).
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I used to enjoy drinking socially but after a while everytime I went out I would make an idiot of myself and would have no recollection of it. I used to dread reading text messages the next morning telling me what I had done, or who I had insulted. From then on drinking became something I did alone.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I didn't start off drinking alone. Drinking was about going to a party. As my addiction grew, I became more and more isolated in the way I drank. 1 reason was I feared getting a DWI. We have a local paper that prints all the local crimes and it would have been in big bold letters for everyone to see if I'd gotten caught.
Also, I feared people knowing I was an alcoholic. So family gatherings I frequently wouldn't drink. Drinking a beer an hour wasn't for me anyway. I wanted a beer/wine every 15 minutes...
In my man cave, I had everything I thought I wanted. It was fully stocked with wine. I had my guitars to play. I had a computer. Not a single disturbance. I loved that little world alcohol created. It felt safe. Fortunately my liver couldn't take it anymore and I was forced to deal with the mess I had created.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Yup, me as well. Classic Textbook Alcoholism. We weren't fooling anyone, except ourselves of course.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think I'm one of the few that didn't. I think I was afraid if I did drink at home alone it would become a habit and I would like it. There's also that denial thing-"if I don't drink alone I'm not an alcoholic school of thought" (even though I knew better) I only drank if there were other people around-I really enjoyed the social aspects. However, that led to the memory lapses, worrying about driving, etc. My brother quit drinking and he said the best part was "not having to scratch your head the next morning trying to remember". Good description.

I think I would have been drinking at home alone in the near future which is one of the reasons I'm here at SR-trying to halt the progress!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

50/50

On an average week, I'd get really drunk once by myself (usually wednesday during the day or tuesday night) and once socially (usually friday or saturday night). I tended to drunk call/text my friends when I was drinking alone though.

Never really bothered to hide it.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank alone, always, and did my best to hide my behaviour.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
When I didn't have a problem with alcohol, I would drink in public but when it became a problem I drank alone. I didn't want to be bother with anyone. Cheaper and I have my thoughts over think about stuff. Plus, I didn't have to worry about passing out and think what I did the next day.
This.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Preferred to drink alone because then I wouldn't do something to embarrass myself. And of course nobody else could see how much I really was drinking...