Notices

Detoxing inpatient and Doctors.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Detoxing inpatient and Doctors.

Part of my story that hopefully will lead to some advice...

I have to say, now that I have been through detox 3 times (twice in inpatient detox and once in the Cardiac Unit) the last time was best, and also the last time I had a drink.

Even though I understand why they put you in detox for 3 days and monitor you, they seem to just let you go after that. Which of course we are adults and should know better (knowing better can be debated)... My first 2 instances were okay, hospitals were decent. Problem is my blood pressure was elevated, so they watched it. When I left it was still elevated (not as high) and no one told me to go see another DR for this. To me this meant I was going to be fine, they just said stay away from booze and your pressure will be fine. Of Course I wasn't. The 3rd time THANK GOD this Dr. against another DR's advice (this was in the emergency room) said he didn't want me going into Detox (even though I was detoxing) but wanted me in the Cardio unit for my heart. They did tests, ex rays ext, and luckily I was fine. But my pressure wasn't. At first he didn't have them put me on medicine except something, can't remember the name, it began with an A, something stronger then xanex (hadn't ever been on it)... My pressure went down to normal in about 24 hours, then all of a sudden shot back up to 179/111.... This Dr. asked all about my family history, he asked extremely detailed questions. He asked me to call family members and ask about family history ext... He kept me in the hospital for 4 days, 2nd day put me on a medication for blood pressure, made sure it started going down before he released me. Discharged me and asked to see me in 7 days, then saw him in 7 days and he told me to see him again in 2 weeks. I did, my pressure at his office was 114/76 - PERFECT... He now wants to see me in 1 month. Turns out high blood pressure runs in my family, and mixing high doses of alcohol when having high blood pressure can make it much worse. And of course when you drink, you eat a lot of high fat - high sodium foods which again make it worse. Point was... the Dr gave a ****, I wasn't just some patient (at least I didn't feel that way)... He was generally concerned with my well being. Instead of just throwing me into "detox" he had me do it in the cardio unit. He also said there was a chance I could come off the medication if I lose weight, don't drink obviously, start exercising more, especially cardio. most Dr's would just put you on Pressure meds and tell you that you will be on them for the rest of your life. Now, I might have to be, but at least I can make a goal to try and get off them. I'm on the lowest dose, so if anything try to stay on a low dose. He motivated me. Luckily they took my blood 3 times in the hospital, once each day, and I am totally healthy otherwise.

I also noticed that my Dr. is at least 70 Yrs old... I do think the older Dr's care more then the younger ones (more of the family Dr. of years ago, then the big store front Dr's everyone has to put up with today). They have experience, they are much less judge mental, and I think they take the Hippocratic Oath much more serious than the younger ones.

Best part, I have not wanted a drink at all. This time was different. I guess I was ready to stop, I was def. scared not to stop, and I know I might be able to reverse some things and make my life better.

I could write so much more, so please ask away if you have any questions. Also, if you just want to leave advice for people.