Notices

Hi

Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi my name is pat. I really need some advice on how to go about getting clean. here is my situation: i am an oxy addict. I take a whole lot. I have been addicted to oapiates for 6-7 years. I am about to get clean and i dont know wheather i should go to a inpatient rehab for like a month or go to the methadone clinic and slowly taper down over the coarse of like six months. I got clean once before using methadone, it took me like a year. it was a nightmare and i had massive anexity and light withdrawl symptoms the whole time. The last ten miligrams were especially hard. I would like to just go to rehab but im kind of scared and there is so many to chose from. I have even heard of people dying in rehab. So I would like to know wheather i should do the methadone thing agin or just go to rehab. I would also like to know whitch rehabs and what kind of rehabs are the best? I live in ventura county are there any good ones close to where i live?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...
Glad you joined us Pat

We are not allowed to give medical advice here nor recommend
any specific treatment center.

I do hope you will be checking with your doctore on how
best to proceed....
Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Patt, welcome to the board! Glad you're here. Concerning your situation, you have quite the decision and road ahead of you. When you ask which one you should do, I guess the more important question you should ask yourself is how bad do you want your life back and how soon?
Me personally? I took the way out when I was very dependent. I was taking 60-80 mg of dilaudid a day! That's heroin level territory there. Mind you, I was taking meds legally for a serious spinal condition. Did I take the meds for pain only? Nope! I used it for escape too! After being on these meds for long, My life became this twisted loop of insanity. I lost the will to be human.
I was at a point in my life where I asked myself if I was going to be defendant on the stuff and lose my marriage or was I going to fight and survive? Well, I made the decision to fight and do it the hard way. I went to my doctor and told him I wanted off. He prescribed meds to ease the pain of W/D. I went through 5 days of pure hell, 5 days of miserable, another 5 days of unease, and then 2 weeks of so so. Guess what? In 45 days total, I was like new again. I worked out, I ate right and life was ok.
Now, my spinal condition worsened, I had surgery, blah blah. I went through the meds thing again and detoxed yet again but it was not as bad as the first time because I wasn't taking near the doses I was before.
So OK... Here we are...
Like I mentioned, You want it over in 30 days or do you want it over in a year? Personally, I would love to see you speak to a medical professional who has experience with this kind of situation. Only that person can make sound medical judgements based on you and you alone and that is key!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just would like to hear from people that have done it before and what worked for them.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Patt,
what worked for me was a serious determination to quit, the acceptance that I was going to hurt for a week, and yes - some help from the doctor to ease things. I got help with the sleep and anxiety aspect. If you can tackle those two things, you'll be fine.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went CT the first time living hell for me. My doc was oxy/fent. I searched and searched everything. Thing was for me not what was going to be the easiest, just what was going to work for me. So no one can tell you which is the best. Each one of us has specific needs when it comes to detox and recovery. To me they are two completely different things. I did a rapid detox in Vegas for me it was the answer. I was put under for 8hrs while being pumped with narc an. Still had a rough month but it gets you through the hard times. I called a ton of clinics,rehabs,ect... Until I felt comfortable with the place. Don't be affaid to talk to them they get calls at all hrs. And they are there to help.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I could do it all over again I would go to a rehab, but it comes down to what you want and can afford. Doing it at home is hell, but it can be done. What do you want?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I want to go to rehab. I just dont want to die and want to know how long it will be till i feel better. The rehab im looking into gives suboxone for the first 4 or 5 days. is this a good method? i take just under 600 mg oxy
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

so going to rehab really is that much better than doing it at home?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When in rehab you are monitered by professionals who watch you very carefully. I know you heard of people dying in rehab but I would think you are safer there then at home alone.If someone died in rehab they probably had some undiagnosed medical problem. My opinion of methadone is why drag it out and suffer over months when you can get it over with in a week or two. If you can afford rehab and never have been to one I say go for it and listen listen learn. Good luck
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I live in ventura county. does anyone know of any good ones in my area?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

are there any rehabs that sedate you for the first few days?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check your insurance to see if re hab/de tox is covered.

Then get busy on the phone to find one in your area or close by.
Be sure and ask about what they offer and if they take your insurance
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A lot of your worries were worries of mine that's why I searched for the right place for me. We cannot tell you where to go or which way is best everyone is different. For me I wanted a dr who would monitor my brain waves, body temperature, heart ect.. That's why I went were I went. Nurse for 2-3 days after rapid detox. I had heard of scary places that do this process some that are in chicago 1/2 hr away. But I went to Vegas for my own reasons. Something else I noticed you can talk them down in price most will almost half there initial price. Like unsaid start calling them see if your insurance will cover any of them. Mine was out of pocket thankfully my family helped me out and paid for it. You can pm me if you like.