Notices

Lost job oppurtunity

Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost job oppurtunity

I have had problems with drinking since about 2005-2006. I don't drink every day, but I indulge in big, stupid binges every now and then that have put me in bad situations. I thought I have slowed down on it, but I have done something stupid a couple weeks ago that has been on my mind. I can't tell anyone around me, but I just need to let it out.

I have been job searching for awhile now for a career that is hard to get into in my area. After many applications and resumes, I finally received a call back for an interview. I was to call the director and schedule an interview. I thought it would be a good idea to drink before I did so (as I am very shy) and I thought the drinking would do me good - make me more confident, an easy talker. Well, the woman did not pick up the phone and I ended up leaving an embarrassing message. I don't remember much of it - just reciting what I wrote down in case a voice mail did pop up. I just remember having many pauses in the message and that's about it. I remember thinking as I left the message that it sounded really bad.

Needless to say, I did not receive a phone call back. I hate myself for this. I have done worse things than this - even life threatening ones. But, I hate that I ruined the only opportunity that was handed to me. And worse yet, I can't even remember what exactly I sounded like or said on the message. Therefore, I couldn't even determine if it was appropriate to call back and try to pursue the job further.

I know it's a loss cause now. But, I had to share it with someone.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hi Lyrah,

been there done that ins similar ways.

Finding jobs these days is so hard that when you finally get a chance you get nervous...

and then the addictive mind gets going... "have a drink, you'll feel more at ease, don't blow this, have a drink..."

You're not alone! I too am working on getting back on my feet. It's not easy but we'll find jobs again... just don't listen to that little voice.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lyrah,

My experience with alcohol is that it tried to take from me (and almost did) everything that I loved and cared about.

Maybe you could see this as a chance to change your life for good. This could be the point where you decide to stop drinking so you never have to go through something like this again. Turn this into something positive and move forward with your life.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I have done all that , getting that buzz on for interviews, work, ect. I had to just so I could write. I shook so bad that sometimes I couldnt fill out paper work, if I didnt have enough booze in me.

The Doctors Opinion is a great thing to read on this very subject. Big Book Online Fourth Edition

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-31-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The message is most likely not nearly as bad as you think it is. I use to go on FB drunk and then worry about it when I woke up and then go see what I wrote and it was always perfectly fine. I think when you are actively drinking that many times you are so full of self hate that you only see yourself in a dark and ugly way.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lyrah, this is your time to change. Perhaps Got took away from you a small thing "a lost job opportunity" to open your hand and put something bigger in it, your new sober life!

When God wants to give you a gift it wraps it up in a problem. The bigger the problem, the bigger the gift. Lyrah, focus on the gift that is waiting for you.

Goodnight

:-)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I thought it was a good idea to drink the night before an interview so I could get to sleep. It turned into me drinking all the whiskey, staying up all night, and going to the interview in the morning half drunk. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. I was in such denial that I was so proud of myself for making it to the interview after staying up all night. What a trooper: NOT!

.....and this was a great job too, that payed 5 dollars more an hour then what I was making at the time.

I just use that as another reason to stay sober.

Soberween,

Ha, sometimes my emails and messages where not so bad, and sometimes they were downright embarrassing. I think the drink and dial sessions where the worst.
Again, more reasons not to drink.

No more worrying in interviews about whether I sound drunk, or smell like beer.

Lyrah, Thanks for sharing