Notices

Needing advice

Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing advice

Hello all, I am 3 days and 11 hours sober and today is hard. I find myself really emotional and frustrated. I have made it this far and seem to be ok as far as withdrawal other than anxiety and thinking about drinking off and on. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Have my list of AA meetings, just have to get to one later today or tomorrow.

Last edited by powerless1; 07-30-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: More informative Title
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Powerless

My only advice would be to stick around here and keep posting. It can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster early on but it does get better. You can always phone AA today, that might help you feel better too. I found that any positive steps I made toward staying sober usually made me feel much better.

Glad you're here x
Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go today if you can. Do you have someone you can call--a sober friend in AA? The beginning of sobriety is a roller coaster of emotions. Hang on & with time it will get easier and things will make more sense to you also. I used to read things that would smooth me out. Some of the stories in the Big Book help....sometimes it was the Bible if the 'spirit' moves you, or even a book on something that you have an interest in...nature, hobby, someones life story.... The trick is to get out of your head somehow...Hang in there--you can get over the hump...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I attended 2,3 meetings a day in the beginning. I still go almost daily.

It was not only stress relieving and great to just be somewhere safe, and no chance of picking up that drink. It just soaked right in thru me and became a way of life.

Just give it shot, tonight I always would say I got nothing better to do.

Good love, Inda
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will have those on and off thoughts of drinking, it's normal, that's what you been doing for the longest; but you don't have to ENTERTAIN those thoughts, you don't have to drink, you will also experience alcohol dreams, many of us still do. you will experience less and less these things with time and work(on your sobriety). going to a meeting is crucial, but a meeting is nothing if you don't get to know some of the people there and try to get what they have n terms of tools to live a sober and content life. you may not like the meeting at first, what happened to me, I used to go to some dull meetings and gave up on AA. took me years of pain and suffering to finally humble myself and give AA another chance. AA is not the meetngs, AA is working the steps with a sponsor, once you start working these steps WITH A SPONSOR( another thing I refused to do for a while, being a guy and all) that's when you will start to know how to deal with life sober. sobriety did not come easy for me. I considered myself a tough case and yes, I am one of those who said that if I could stay sober anyone can. I could never imagine life without alcohol, just did not make sense to me, was not worth living....ect but the pain of my disease was greater. That's when I joined AA again and got a sponsor and worked the steps and stayed sober. I didn't get it the first time I tell you, I relapsed on my sponsor several times, but that's just me, everyone is different, but I never gave up on AA. all I could tell you is that working the steps right will give you another perspective on your everyday life. you will stay sober and face life on life term.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My advice is to be really good to yourself: make sure you eat something tasty and healthy for dinner, then have some dessert, maybe some berries over vanilla ice cream, drink a lot of water and maybe even get some exercise, if you are able.

Then go to bed early and read.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome powerless1
Stick around - read and post as much as you like

D
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome..we're her to listen and help
Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would say just get your butt to a meeting. Just go, even if you don't want to, and share openly and honestly about how you're feeling. Sit through whatever discomfort it causes you to do so, it will pass and you will grow as a result.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1st things 1st. it is day 3. i am not sure how long you drank for, but its gonna take T.I.M.E. for the emotional and mental sobriety to come. since you are goin to AA, i am gonna guess you have the big book?please say yes. so open up and read "the doctors opinion" and " more about alcoholism." it should show you that what you are goin through is quite common and what is necessary for the sobriety to come.
dont quit 10 seconds before the miracle!!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
1st things 1st. it is day 3. i am not sure how long you drank for, but its gonna take T.I.M.E. for the emotional and mental sobriety to come. since you are goin to AA, i am gonna guess you have the big book?please say yes. so open up and read "the doctors opinion" and " more about alcoholism." it should show you that what you are goin through is quite common and what is necessary for the sobriety to come.
dont quit 10 seconds before the miracle!!
love the big book. I also really loved Joe and Charlie's big book study (XA-Speakers - The lights are on!) as I always found it tough to get through those first few chapters of the BB.