Notices

Sweet tooth

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweet tooth

Day 2, i feel ok, slight headache, a few hot flushes (though could be the weather) and i feel like i am in a daze. But i have got some mad sugar cravings going on! I am desperate for some chocolate, or biscuits, or cake...ummm cake (dribble, dribble). As if my teeth werent bad enough . Are these sugar cravings normal or am i just being fat
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They're normal, it is your body's reaction to low blood sugar levels as a result of alcohol leaving your system. Try not to replace with sugary foods as you'll just put on weight and feel crap! Take up exercise!

Julynine
Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

im pounding food. I just ate a whole bag of MM's. I know its not healthy. But it is better than a beer. Im day 3. I cant stop eating. ahhhh
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post
im pounding food. I just ate a whole bag of MM's. I know its not healthy. But it is better than a beer. Im day 3. I cant stop eating. ahhhh
Hey whiskey! i'v seen a couple of your posts, you are doing well. I'm not so bothered about eating, just really want sweet things and yes, i too no the ahhhh feeling.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ash077 - Thanks for the shout out. It feels good to know others are going through the same thing (not that i would want anyone to feel like this) But I have to admit, since i decided to give this a go, this website has been great. I have been reading and reading. Which is better than drinking and drinking.

Im going to search out some articles about how to normalize blood sugar levels, when kicking alcohol. Does anyone else have some tips on how to do this? (before i become a blimp and need a trip to the dentist!)
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post
Ash077 - Thanks for the shout out. It feels good to know others are going through the same thing (not that i would want anyone to feel like this) But I have to admit, since i decided to give this a go, this website has been great. I have been reading and reading. Which is better than drinking and drinking.

Im going to search out some articles about how to normalize blood sugar levels, when kicking alcohol. Does anyone else have some tips on how to do this? (before i become a blimp and need a trip to the dentist!)

EXERCISE!!! Especially weight training. This will help immensely with enhancing insulin sensitivity. Also try to steer clear of high sugar foods, although in early sobriety (like the first couple weeks), I feel it is an excellent idea to allow yourself what you crave. A proper diet and exercise will go a looooong way, as well as fish oils and proper vitamins (talk to your doctor).
Ash, I totally relate to the sugar cravings. Do you have an exercise program of some kind going?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it's normal,replacing the sugar that was in alcohol.of course it's ideal to eathealthily but my take on this is do what you have to do to not drink alcohol. if that means eating cake,soda,chocolate then so be it. you can work on your diet later

"Written on day 24,having eaten huge amounts of ice cream!!"
Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Completely normal!
I'm normally a very "clean" mostly-vegetarian eater but I have been craving - and eating - lots of junky carb-laden fast food. Yuck. Starting to wean myself back onto a better diet again...I allowed myself to pig out a bit because I knew it was my body's reaction to not having a gallon or two of alcohol dumped into it every day. My weight is the same; I'm just replacing alcoholic sugars with non-alcoholic ones.

Also ditto the exercise suggestion, definitely. Maybe a class in something...yoga, Pilates, fencing, whatever? I'm thinking of doing that.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Early in sobriety I craved sugar and just didn't restrict myself,my focus was sobriety.
That's what I did
At 9 months, I was tired of my sugary diet and went on a raw food diet for 30 days, it was what I needed and now my diet is much more balanced and the sugar cravings have leveled off.
CaiHong
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I say have some dark chocolate... I want some now... the key word being some.

I had to make up for all of the sugar & calories I was getting not only from my drinking but the food & lazy lifestyle that went with it ;-)

Average calories in a beer: 150
Time 15 = 2,250

700+ Bad Food (Pre & post drinking/hangover)
= 2,950 Calories

I'm off for a couple of pieces of dark chocolate... I deserve it lol
Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well as a chef for over 20 years I never had a problem with food. But yes the sugar after quitting YUMMO, I ate more fricken creme brulee, tiramisu, and cheesecake. But whatever I am with CaiHong I didnt care either Sobriety first !!!!!!! So if I could feel a little better by indulging that was fine, then down the road when I had more of a foundation I could get back to eating proper.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Agree with all the above. The sugar craving went after awhile and now I am eating well
Better than I ever have - loads of fruit, veg etc

I started exercising after week 1 of sobriety and that has helped too - sort of mental equation I guess. I am exercising to get fit and to shape up - best put the biscuits/cookies/crisps back and have some fruit instead.
Helps that is summer too and we are knee deep in strawberries, rapsberries and cherries here in the UK
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Definitely craving sugar! Day 9 and after having almost no physical symptoms except for being really tired I had a very short dizzy spell today. I think it must have been a low blood sugar thing. I'm sure our bodies are going haywire with a such big change in habits.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes - normal! I had lollipops & lifesavers available at all times (& I was never that fond of them before). They seemed to help with the cravings, & gave me something to 'do'. Then it was the chocolate - then anything sweet. After about a month it all settled down, though. I think it was part of my withdrawal.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

As a child, I had a serious sugar thing going on. Maybe it was my addiction before I found alcohol. After I stopped, my sugar obsession began again (I didn't eat much sugar while drinking, I guess the alcohol had enough in it). I moderate my sugar intake more today, although it's still on the "eat more than I should side"....

Love,
Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I totally have a sweet tooth sine I stopped drinking. The first week was fine, the second week sober it kicked in. After 3 nights of binging on ice cream I decided to stop. I now eat fruit when I get a sweet tooth, I figure this will also help me hydrate. At night if I have a huge craving I will make some Peppermint or Camamile tea (both naturally caffein free) and put a teaspoon of honey in it. This totally takes away the sweet tooth, and even though Honey is high in Carbs, it is much much much healthier than downing a pint or more of ice cream a night...