Notices

5 weeks sober, still anxious and...

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 weeks sober, still anxious and...

I'm noticing I'm WAY more sensitive to caffeine and sugar now than I was when I was drinking (ie makes me anxious, etc). Anyone else experience this? Still have problems with insomnia and can't concentrate all that well but am otherwise feeling pretty ok! Thanks everyone for your superhelpful advice!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I am 7 months sober and I am still craving sugar, not as bad, but still craving a little. They say it might take 2 years, I am just trusting the process.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks!

Thanks for the kind words Totally appreciate it!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

At 14 months, I can have 2 cups of coffee or 5 in a day and no hypoglycemic problems. I eat sweet things, mostly in moderation.

All last year it was an up & rarely down year.

Give time time! I did gain 1 size and now it's leaving on a gradual basis.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Up meaning too much coffee or sugar or both
Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do think I'm more sensitive to caffeine when I don't drink, but that's probably because drinking made me tired the next day, especially when I was recovering from a hangover. I haven't dealt too well with sugar for a few years now. Have you tried any herbal teas before bed?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Caffeine is a funny thing. Also, awesome.

I spent years chugging high strength energy drinks without any problems. Two months ago, I started getting a very bad reaction to them.

When I switched my caffeine source to tea, the reaction went away. Go figure.

If caffeine is giving you anxiety, maybe consider changing the source or the quality of the source. I know I react worst to the crappy caffeine in soda and energy drinks than to the more natural one from other drinks.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great suggestions

Hey everyone!

Awesome suggestions. I mostly drink green tea and am OK with that, but more than 2 cups of green and I go a little wacky! I seldom drink coffee but when I do it's ....not fun. I never drink soda- never got into it for some reason. I've been making these reduced sugar/low fat nearly vegan cookies (no butter, traces of milk in the choc chips), and it's helping a lot. I have actually lost a tiny bit of weight since quitting drink but man I wish these sweets cravings would go away! ha. Thanks everyone Will look into herbal teas some more.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

4.5 months sober and i am a sugar nut. gummy candies and fruit! also ice pops. ohmygod i can eat a million of those. then again, i think that may just be the kid in me. i love me some durn ice pops.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dark chocolate has its hooks into me but worse things could happen to a fella

Coffee is much nicer to me now that I'm not perpetually hung over. Used to be I'd drink coffee to try to feel more normal, push the hangover away, and I'd be sweating out booze byproducts, did not smell so fresh. Now I have a nice cup or two of joe and I just feel a little bit of an "up". Also I don't drink calories anymore because I'm cutting weight pretty aggressively, so coffee and tea (and water) are on the menu while sugared drinks are not. (Dark chocolate is worth every calorie, can't cut that from the diet.)
Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had to cut out most of the caffeine since quitting. It was the difference between having insomnia and staying up until 4-6AM every night or feeling tired all the time and taking 2 hour naps during the day and still going to sleep at 10-11pm. Still, feeling tired alot seems a lot more natural for taking care of myself right now than not being able to sleep and the vitamins and eating bananas and plums and things help too. Fruit is crazy cheap here in So Cal so I may as well take advantage of it.