One day at a time

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day at a time

I posted a while back re my depression, which I think was brought about through stress with my partner drinking. I just wanted to say that I feel like I'm slowly emerging from the darkness, it's very gradual, and sometimes I get fearful that it will never properly lift. I had some anxiety as well but that seems to be settling down at the same time. My partner hasn't stopped drinking altogether, but things have improved a lot, although I'm still uncertain about the future. At the moment I find comfort in routine, going to work, going to the gym, I look forward to the day when my sense of adventure and spirit are back to normal. Thanks for listening
Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hey painterman ---------

Goodonya.......!

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Survivor

Getting up and following a routine is an awesome way to handle the depression and anxiety. I find that reading helps me a lot too. I just want to show support.

Wishing you well.

Love and Light,

Lily
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hang in there, painterman. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the post. I too have been stuggling with depression, it is certainly a bit lighter than it was, but still present.

I appreciate knowing that I am not alone , this is so hard, feel better soon and keep us posted.

love to you Katie
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job.

HG is right, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 18 months ago if you had told me that I would be where I am know I would have called you a liar.

So, keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep walking the path of your program.

Something that helped me a lot was getting into mindfulness. It is a way of quieting your mind and allowing you to live in the moment. There is some very good research showing that the mindfulness exercises actually change the way your brain works into much healthier patterns.

I am currently reading a book called "Where ever you go, there you are". It is a whole collection of very short chapters, 1-4 pages, with concepts and exercises for mindfulness. IMO it is an excellent book on mindfulness. I got it on the discount rack at Barnes & Noble.

Your friend,
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I know that darkness very well painterman. Have you been seen by a doctor? If not, please go for an evaluation for depression. Depression is a medical illness and is very treatable.

Routine is so good so I am glad you have it in your life. It also helps me to be surrounded by positive people, like at Al-Anon. Also helpful is sunshine, especially because you are in the UK. Get out in the sunshine for 20 minutes every day, without any sunscreen.

(((hugs))) to you.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Painterman,
You have been on my mind the past couple days.....I am glad you posted.

The gym is good, I'm glad you can make it there.

I have been told that Omega-3 can help and salmon is thick with it.

Depression just hurts inside, like a raw wound, a scraping.

Stay on your medicine, your doctor may have to adjust the dosage or add one or two others anti-depressants to get the right balance. The psychiatrist who treated my son said the illness is less likely to return if a minimum full year of medication is sustained, even if the depression lifts before then.

Be gentle with yourself and avoid harshness in all its forms.

Blessings to you today.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you much peace. I like what you said about routine. I am trying to get into one myself (this after breaking up with XABF and moving to a new place all in two weeks). I was so lost, I actually had to write on a list stuff like "eat lunch" and check it off because otherwise, I wouldn't.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words of support, I have been on medication for about 3 months, I didn't think it would take this long. Mike, I have a book that looks at mindfullness and have been seeing a counsellor, I will look out for this one. I have been taking fish oil and extra vitamins. I think I am on the road to recovery, it is so reassuring to read all your messages
Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Painterman,
Your post is reassuring to me, too. So thank you for posting. I think solid routines is what I'm missing. Good for you.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel even better today, when I'm back to normal I think I'll throw a big party for you all-trouble is, it would have to be somewhere in the mid Atlantic.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Canary Islands?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You rent the boat and we'll bring the chips.

(And I do not mean french fries).
Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by painterman View Post
Thank you all for your kind words of support, I have been on medication for about 3 months, I didn't think it would take this long. Mike, I have a book that looks at mindfullness and have been seeing a counsellor, I will look out for this one. I have been taking fish oil and extra vitamins. I think I am on the road to recovery, it is so reassuring to read all your messages
If it is the right medication for you, you will begin to feel even better soon. I also just got a book on mindfulness and am looking forward to learning some new skills for regulating my emotions. Thank you for sharing.