Notices

Hello

Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello SR. Have a problem. Been smoking marijuana for 26 years almost every day. Probably everyday. I've decided to quit, but can't take the first step. It is truly such a habit at this point. I've done quite a few other drugs, LSD & shrooms. I was meth and coke addicted, as well as drank on a regular basis and had no problems quitting those cold turkey, but every time my bag starts to get low I start to panic til I buy another one. I can not let myself run out. I feel stuck. I want to quit but not because I feel health problems or it changes who I am, and I have a major major addiction to it's taste, so makes it that much more difficult.

I really want to quit, but I can't even begin...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope Someone more experienced can offer some advice for you here. I am a binge drinker and don't have much experience with your issue but it's still about fighting the urge to do something that you feel you don't have control of anymore. I wish the best for you.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome nonpui!

I think we've all been there... The last year of my drinking was so frustrating - I'd promise in the morning that I wasn't going to drink that day only to find myself caving in by evening. It's like having two minds - the sane one and the addicted one (which just gets stronger the more we feed it).

I needed to get support/help in order to get sober - I just couldn't do it on my own. I found that support here and with a psychiatrist (also practicing mindfulness techniques), but there's also programs like AA/NA, AVRT, SMART. You've already taken a big step by admitting your problem and reaching out here. :ghug3
Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I will be following your posts closely.
I am an alcoholic with a marijuana addicted ex-boyfriend, father of my children. I have taken him to NA, AA, counselors, etc. to try and get him to stop. He says after each one, that he doesn't need that, he can do it on his own. So I left him.

I am not sure of what the future holds, but I am constantly praying for me and my children. I have 6 months of sobriety, and that is all I can do, just focus on myself. I know I am doing the right thing.

These addictions are awful. I can tell you what I did for him, but it wouldn't be any good. Anywho - I brought him to an NA meeting, after he said he doesn't need that. I brought him to an AA meeting, after he said he doesn't need that. I brought him to a substance abuse counselor, after he said he doesn't need that. He is so far into his EGO, that he doesn't see what his addiction has done to his life.

I see what my addiction has done to mine. I have so many missed opportunities, and so many mistakes due to partying. I am now trying to pick up the pieces of my life and get it turned around. It is a slow process, but I am doing it sober. I just want to wring his neck and make him go, but he is not ready to change.

I hope you find what you are looking for, I hope that it will include sobriety!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Marijuana Anonymous World Services

Life with Hope : Marijuana Anonymous World Services, Inc. : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, good luck and keep posting let us know how you are coming along.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome nonpiu420

I was a daily smoker for 25 years or so...it was difficult to give up, but it's not impossible

I think support is the key...that and being open to change - I had to change my lifestyle and my friend circle, in some cases quite extensively.

I'm glad you're here and thinking of change - I'll look out for your posts

D
Old 07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for you support and responses. Looks like I'm in a good position in some ways. I have tons of support from my girlfriend and family. As far as friends, the only friend i have that does it is the person I buy from, and my medical marijauna card. It's all mental with me to quit, as well as controlling the habit. That's the hard part. I do it when i wake up, when I get home from work, after dinner, before bed, and whenever I can on off days. Crazy.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess if you want to quit...You're going to have to make some changes...Starting with the friend you buy from...You might need to put some distance between you and him...How do you plan on dealing with the medical marijauna card?....Do you need it?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Living here in CA as we do can probably seem like it may be tougher to stop. There wasn't such easy access back when I stopped. It was easy to get, but nothing like now. I have a dispensary 3 doors down and at least 5 within a one mile radius. Yet that doesn't mean you can't stop, though! Same thing for those of us who drank: liquor stores abound! I've got a liquor store next door, but that doesn't mean I'll go buy alcohol. I'm glad links have been given here to give you support. You can do this!!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello nonpiu! It's great to have you join us. It helps so much to not be alone anymore. That's what I love about SR - you have an instant family from all over the place.

Congratulations on your important decision to stop smoking after 26 years. I can imagine how odd it will feel at first, but I was able to stop the daily booze habit - and you can get free too.