Notices

Headaches??

Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headaches??

I know not to seek medical advice, and I will check with my Dr. if they persist, but I was wondering has anyone experienced this with sobriety? Everyday for about the past week I get a mild headche at roughly the same time, around 6pm. It is pretty much there through the evening. I have been sober for a month. I typically do not ever get headaches.
Thanks for any input!!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are probably still in withdrawal. It can take a while
Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

This happened to me! I'm not a doctor, not giving medical advice. Here's what happened to me - about 1 month, 2 months into sobriety, I got headaches every day around 3pm. Like clockwork. Saw my doc. He said that my body was likely reacting to stress. Before I'd drink to relieve stress. Since I took it away (the drink) and didn't replace it, my body didn't know what to do - hence headaches. So I had to find a way to relax. My cure: Working out. It was hard when I had a headache though! So I worked out mildly in the morning when I felt good. Headaches went away. I am now 6 months sober and rarely get a headache. Hope this helps you!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I almost forgot that - I definitely had them for a few weeks. Not sure what causes it, but they stopped all together. I never got headaches much, either - prior to quitting.

Congrats on your one month, song. Very proud of you.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

One thing I found is that when I stopped drinking, I began to notice things that I had ignored or not noticed. It might be a good idea to get it checked out.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey. Thanks everyone. Lost, I am actually thinking it is stress, and yes I would typically have a beer at 5pm. Weird that they would start a month in. I will definitely get it checked if it keeps up. I do appreciate the input!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also consider diet change. Do you know how many carbs are in a can of beer? When I first quit, I wasn't really watching what I ate, as long as I ate. So I still consumed a lot of carbs. Now trying to be a little healthier I watch what I eat. Just recently started to get really bad headaches, I looked at what I was eating, and realized I had l almost no carbs,which is ok, but I was going thru a carb withdrawal. And yes, if they don't go away soon, seek medical attention.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im on day 7, started having headaches yesterday. Thought it might be dehydration (trying to train myself to drink enough fluids). Also, I'm trying to exercise and watch what I eat.

I went to the doctor on day 3 with major musle aches and my doc said it's tension and dehydration, so I'm thinking that's what started my headaches.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Songtx View Post
Hey. Thanks everyone. Lost, I am actually thinking it is stress, and yes I would typically have a beer at 5pm. Weird that they would start a month in. I will definitely get it checked if it keeps up. I do appreciate the input!
You are welcome! It was a little humorous because I remember saying, but doc, I tried to go and work out and my headache got worse! He said, well, of course, having a headache and bouncing around on a treadmill isn't good! So note to self, try something light in the mornings or before the headaches come on. My food trick was having a cup of coffee with some sugar before the said headache time came on. I got over it pretty quickly.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, Amy!
I bet you are so right. I cut way back on carbs (bread potato pasta) about 2years ago. I was still intaking a minimum of 6 beers a night. I didn't even consider that!!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oo good idea about the coffee. Sometimes coffee does seem to help a bit. I'll get some afternoon cardio in as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I always drank after work and it was a type of relaxation technique I taught myself years ago. I think a lot of us go through that - and then all of a sudden quit drinking but don't replace it with anything. Anna talks a lot about her daily walks. I really admire her for that! Especially because I just can't seem to do that - although I can seem to get to the gym on a daily basis!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Songtx View Post
Oo good idea about the coffee. Sometimes coffee does seem to help a bit. I'll get some afternoon cardio in as well.
Caffeine is what people take who have migraines. If your problem is what I had, once you begin regular exercise it's not a problem. I still get headaches, but now I can identify why, i.e. I'm tired, cranky, overly stressed, etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest checking to see if glasses are now required ...
I went from reding glasses to needing them all the time in early sobreity.

Hope you get answers soon
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wanted to add:

Whenever I went on a low carb diet, headaches lasted about 4 days, or I guess till I detoxed from them. But you also need to have a healthy diet. Look at the foods that you are eating. Besides getting rid of the alcohol, are you eating right now? After watching your diet, and getting proper nutrition, if the headaches do not go away, see a Dr

Also check out all other suggestions, see if any work for you