Notices

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Folks,
First post here, thanks for having me.
I am a lifelong drinker, just have reached the age where my physical problems have started to manifest themselves and came to the inevitable conclusion the day before yesterday that the alcohol had to be brought under control....the proverbial chickens have finally come home to roost.
I was drinking anywhere from 12-14 beers (or a mix of beer and wine, not much hard liquor) a day - EVERY day - and didn't realize just how over the line that was until I started looking into it and said WOW....I gotta get a handle on this!!!!
I'm not sure at this point if it's an addiction or just a habit, but getting buzzed every night has been my thing for a long time, and as I look back now, it has caused me to exclude a lot of otherwise wonderful things in my life, and now has even taken precedence over my ultimate health. At 56, that's something you consider pretty seriously.
In the short term, I have already cut my intake by more than half to 6 beers a night, and not more than on in every forty five minute period. Ultimately, my goal is to have the self control to regulate myself to a max two drinks when the opportunity presents itself, but on most nights,to just tend to other things with no compulsion or need to drink at all. I have a plan.......
Anyway, I will check in from time to time and may need some advice or offer up something I found particularly helpful on my journey from time to time, but thanks for creating a forum where I can find a little sanctuary during the process.
Thanks to all, and regards,
Boykin
Old 07-05-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Welcome, BoyKin. I can say this, a plan is a start. I have come to learn that we may or may not stick to our plan, but the good news is...we can always come up with a new one. My best to you and I'm glad you are ready to make an effort to change things. My health became a factor to me as well. If you think about it, how ridiculous is it that we drink when drinking jeopardizes our health? I did it for many years, but I'm glad I made the right decision in the end.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

Ultimately, my goal is to have the self control to regulate myself to a max two drinks when the opportunity presents itself, but on most nights,to just tend to other things with no compulsion or need to drink at all. I have a plan.......
I make plans like that too.....
I identify with your drinking. Have drank for over 30yrs and most has been a lot of binge drinking on the weekend. Now it has been an every day thing for a long time. I always have good intentions on quitting, but don't follow thru very well. I too am starting to have physical ailments that have to be alcohol related. I get buzzed every nite also - I drink prob 5-9 beers every nite during the week and sometimes more on the weekends. It's a snacking and drinking thing.
There will be others who will jump in and question your plan. I'm interested in if you can do this. I never have been able to for very long. And yes I do have periods where I don't drink every nite. But again they aren't stacks of days. Usually a day here and a day there. I don't crave all the time when I'm not drinking. I believe it is more of a habit that is hard to quit, a way I have lived (am living). Loneliness is quite hard for me.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made many plans like that and they all failed.

Stopping drinking was much easier than all the failed plans.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome Boykin!
Glad you found this forum, was a real eye opener \ life changer for me. I'm 41 and was drinking 12 to 16 beers a night and sometimes boosting with shots of the hard stuff, it really does come back around and smack ya upside the head.
It took a lot to reach the state if mind I am in now (a Non-Drinking, recovering alcoholic with 9 months clean), but I am so grateful I took on the challenge of detox and began my new life. Read and Post. Wish you the best.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boykin View Post
Ultimately, my goal is to have the self control to regulate myself to a max two drinks when the opportunity presents itself, but on most nights,to just tend to other things with no compulsion or need to drink at all. I have a plan.......
Welcome to SR Boykin...You're in a great place for online support. This is from the Big Book of AA...That is the program I use to remain sober. I thought it made sense when I first read it.

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scolova View Post
Welcome Boykin!
Glad you found this forum, was a real eye opener \ life changer for me. I'm 41 and was drinking 12 to 16 beers a night and sometimes boosting with shots of the hard stuff, it really does come back around and smack ya upside the head.
It took a lot to reach the state if mind I am in now (a Non-Drinking, recovering alcoholic with 9 months clean), but I am so grateful I took on the challenge of detox and began my new life. Read and Post. Wish you the best.
Ahhh...a fellow Texan !!! Awesome.

Thanks everyone.
Anna, I can understand your skepticism, but I've kicked anti depressants with my own step-down plan (psychiatrist advised gainst it and would NOT help me) and a three pack a day cig habit cold turkey in the last two years, I'm going to give my plan a run....I occasionally have to spend anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks offshore with no drugs whatsoever, and have never had a physical withdrawal. I think it's just habit, but it appears that my habit has become my owner and I intend to turn the tables. Maybe it will work out, I hope so, if not.....well, that's why I joined here. I'm serious about it, and not, as you seem to assume, naive about the nature of addiction.
Regards,
Boykin
Old 07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Although I never ever bothered to moderate my drinking because getting a 'good buzz on' was my thing, I do hope you can do the moderation deal. I think its worth a try to see where you stand with your relationship with alcohol. After all you can always change plans and consider alcohol abstinence.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Although I never ever bothered to moderate my drinking because getting a 'good buzz on' was my thing, I do hope you can do the moderation deal. I think its worth a try to see where you stand with your relationship with alcohol. After all you can always change plans and consider alcohol abstinence.
That is not off the table.
What I absolutely won't do, is what I've been doing....killing myself. If I can turn it down and be successful, I will. If it turns out I have to abstain completely, then so be it.
Thanks very much, Zen.
Regards
Boykin
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Zencat...Go for it...I am curious though......Have you ever tried to do this before?.....Or is it just an idea that came up where you decided you are going to drink like normal drinkers all of a sudden?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I agree with Zencat...Go for it...I am curious though......Have you ever tried to do this before?.....Or is it just an idea that came up where you decided you are going to drink like normal drinkers all of a sudden?
What's the cure for overeating? Stopping eating?

Regards,
Boykin
Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I could moderate my drinking on any given day. The days that followed that day are where I had problems. For me, at least, quitting entirely is a lot easier to manage over the long-term.

I hope you can get to moderation and stay there. If you find it isn't working out and you decide to quit for good, please come on back for support and advice if you need any.

I don't think anyone is doubting your resolve or experience, but I don't remember ever reading a thread on this forum about how someone successfully went from a half-case of beers daily for "a long time" to a couple of beers twice a week and a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. We do, however, have plenty of threads from people who planned to drink only moderately but failed quite badly, repeatedly, until finally quitting altogether. (In fact, we probably have a few new threads on the subject started just today, considering that yesterday was the 4th of July..)

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your recove--er, moderation
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boykin View Post
What's the cure for overeating? Stopping eating?
I don't know. I don't know anything about overeating. I'm an alcoholic.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pretty similar story with me. Didn't really consider myself an alcoholic cause I only drank beer, I only drank at night, etc. I'm surprised you made it into your mid 50s before your body started crashing. Mine started getting bad in the mid 40s. I don't have much faith in your cutting back gradually to only two beers once in a while, but have at it.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Greetings, Boykin! It's wonderful to have you here. I was in my 50's, too, when I finally had to pack it in with the drinking.

I'm another one who tried to moderate - anything but give it up all together. I thought willpower alone would be enough to keep me from drinking to excess. I found that every time I picked up, the outcome was unpredictable - so I, too, had to stop playing with it and quit all together. This may not be your experience. Regardless, please keep posting and let us know how your plan is working out. We care.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Because you titled this thread
I too wondered if this was your first shot at quitting.
That is AA speak.

Welcome....

I too quit in my 50's and since then have had health issues
not related to alcohol. Some procedures would not have
been done if I was still drinking. I agree...as we age....
taking better care of yourself is wise...
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Because you titled this thread
I too wondered if this was your first shot at quitting.
Yep, first time. Was feeling bad the other day, wondered why. Looked at a garbage can full of empty bottles, and had an epiphany.....the answer was right there in front of me.
Regards,
Boykin
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

There is no point in just 2......not in my world. LOL

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Look, I just wanted to say hi.

If this is a forum that doesn't embrace the idea that someone who once drank in excess can choose to drink in moderation, I GET it.....you don't want people who are truly addicted clinging to some false hope of normalcy, because it almost never works out, I understand that.....but if that is indeed the unspoken rule here, just SAY so.

The forum I used to kick a three pack a day , 35 year cigarette habit (whyquit.com) made you sign an agreement that if you relapsed, even ONE cigarette, you had to quit the forum. I respected that, they wanted to be about succeeding......maybe it's the same thing here.

I have been up front and honest about where I've been and where I want to get to, and there appears already to be some degree of skepticism about my plan for succeeding, which frankly is NOT what I expected from this forum.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place and I should just come back when and if the day comes that I have to admit to myself that I've failed, since most here seem so convinced of its inevitability.

Regards,
Boykin
Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maybe we have all tried it before....And seen enough other people try it and not succeed we are trying to save you some time. As far as how I feel about it...I think it would be irresponsible of myself to encourage you to do it....But I don't think anybody will stop you. There is a guy in another thread doing it...Feel free to hang around...All I can do is wish you luck.