Notices

looking for help

Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for help

I feel like i'm forcing myself to do this, but i need to start somewhere.
I have been dealing with depression and anxiety since i was a child. My first thoughts of suicide was at the age of 12. I quit my job 2 weeks ago because the anxiety and alcolhol abuse were out of control. This morning, feeling as if losing my mind and with no one to talk to i called a panic attack hotline. The person i spoke to helped me realize just how long this **** has been going on for. I am in my early forties without a job and dont know how to deal with all of this. I didnt drink last night for the first time in weeks and was hoping to have a better day than this but i feel horrible and anxious. I am not suicidal but i am desperate for help.

Sorry to put my whole life into the newcomers forum, i'm not sure what to say. Please help.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Mits78...You're in a safe place...You can relax here...Is it possible for you to consult with your doctor before stopping...about detoxing?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You sound just like me before I went to Alcoholics Anonymous.

When you go to the meetings you will meet lots of folks who have found the solution to just what you are describing.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mits78,

Well, first of all, welcome to SR! Please take the time to read the posts (and post again) - this place has helped me save myself (I am now 10.5 months sober).

I am sorry. You are not alone. Many of us ended up in some very precarious situations. I am just glad that you recognize your problem and want to do something about it.Have you gone to the doctor? Have you thought of one of the many sobriety programs?

Please keep reading and posting. We all care and want to help you. Take care.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, your words are comforting.

I have since calmed since i wrote that post. I feel a little guilty after rereading what i've posted. Didnt mean to make it sound like i was a victim my whole life. I have my problems but I've also done my wrongs FWIW.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's all good Mits...Don't worry about it...I think stopping is a great decision...Are you OK with detoxing on your own? It can be dangerous.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Are you OK with detoxing on your own? It can be dangerous.
I'm o.k. with it. I've done it before when i was actually drinking more. I'm working on the anxiety so i can get to some meetings.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's cool...I suffered through some major anxiety early on...It took me working those steps to free myself of that...Mine was alcohol driven...Early on I prayed and got to as many meetings as I could...Anxious or not...I was willing to go to ANY lengths.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome and just take it easy, glad to hear your getting ready for meetings.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome Mits! We are all here for your support. Say what you want, and we will listen!! Glad you are here.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is the start of your new life! Put on a smile, go for a walk, get some fresh air... take out a pen and piece of paper and start writing out your plan for life! I get comfort knowing that there is a plan, there is a goal, and that it's achievable if I start right now!! There is plenty of support in this forum, keep posting and you'll get the answers you need.

But most importantly, however you feel right now is nothing to what you'll feel like tomorrow if you pick up the bottle!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome mits
There's a ton of support and encouragement here

have you seen a Dr about your anxiety or your alcohol abuse?

D
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family Mits. We're glad you told your story - you need to be open, among people you can trust. We all understand what you're going through.

It's not surprising you feel anxious when you've been drinking & then suddenly stopped. It took me a few days to begin to feel human again, after all I'd put myself through by self-medicating. I hope you'll feel better as the fog lifts. Please keep reading & posting. We care about you.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here!

Anxiety is normal in early recovery, but it is wise to see a doctor or go to the ER. Let them know if you are taking any medication.

Please take care of you!

Hugs,
Old 06-29-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
have you seen a Dr about your anxiety or your alcohol abuse?

D
Yes, years ago my doctor put me on xanax(very small amount) and i'm still on it today. At that time my drinking was minimal.

I'm overwhelmed with the support here. Thanks so much to everyone who responded.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember having anxiety as a young child too, followed by depression. Through the years my anxiety robbed me of so much, including job opportunities, boyfriends, social activities. I was well into adulthood before I even attached a name to it. By my midforties, I was exhausted with trying to manage my anxiety and 'act' like I was okay. Alcohol allowed me to sleep and to calm, but of course it quickly took its toll.

Stopping drinking will help your anxiety diminish for sure and know that you will be able to learn ways to deal with your emotions. Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you are here. SR has really helped me stay sober. I feel like there is usually someone online, I can relate to. Take care of yourself
Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Mits Anxiety & depression, ugh I struggle with those also, & am in one of my very lows today. Waiting it out, getting through. Better days ahead. It is good to reach out for help. It's ok to seek professional help too. Sometimes chemicals in our brains and bodies can be helped...Very best wishes to you in sobriety and peace of mind.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! We all have similar stories, and we are all here for each other. Just keep not drinking, and start looking at the ways you want to improve your life. Just step at a time!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Mits!

During the last months of my drinking I felt like any little thing was going to send me into a nervous breakdown. Within a week of getting sober I felt calmer and more hopeful that I'd felt in years even though I had some major problems to work out.

Keep reading and posting and focus on getting through the next day (or hour) sober. Things really will get better.:ghug3