Notices

Update on scan.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on scan.

Thank you for the replys yesterday about my right upper pain (liver area)

Well here is an update.

I went for my scan today, the woman performing the scan spent about 20 minutes probing with the scan equiptment, she would not say much as they are not allowed to (the Doctor is the one who has to give the results)

Anyway, I did ask if she could see any Gall stones and she said 'No' so I asked why does my liver hurt then? she told me she could not say and I have to wait one week for the results!

I am so bloated my stomach looks pregnant! no swelling anywhere else, just a huge hard stomach.

I am no further forward, in fact I wish she had found Gall stones really because at least I would have a reason to have this pain.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Sorry you didn't get much of an answer. I hope you keep us upated.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're stuck waiting for the results.

Hang in there.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope the news is good, and you don't have to wait too long for the results.

Best to you.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You were wise to get it checked out. I'll be praying for your health:ghug3
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zee

Hiya
I can relate. I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago... for my query liver damage (long story!)
I had ascites (fluid) and had 6.5 litres drained last year from my stomach. I looked pregnant and my bellybutton turned into an 'outie'
The ultrasound guy said.. oh look you have a handfull of gall stones (oh good!)
They have never bothered me, I could have had them years! Not bothered about them either.
Ultrasound man couldn't give me any other answers either, I will have to wait 'till august, even then, it may be nothing conclusive. Thats the thing with the liver... very hard to diagnose. Good luck to us x
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Hiya
I can relate. I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago... for my query liver damage (long story!)
I had ascites (fluid) and had 6.5 litres drained last year from my stomach. I looked pregnant and my bellybutton turned into an 'outie'
The ultrasound guy said.. oh look you have a handfull of gall stones (oh good!)
They have never bothered me, I could have had them years! Not bothered about them either.
Ultrasound man couldn't give me any other answers either, I will have to wait 'till august, even then, it may be nothing conclusive. Thats the thing with the liver... very hard to diagnose. Good luck to us x
Hi Zee

I read your story the other night and I know by reading it you have had a pretty scary time with your health.

Does Ascites go away after it has been drained or is it a problem that keeps coming once it has started?

I thought Ascites was the start of Cirrhosis?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's hard to be patient, but stick with it lookahead
hope you get more news soon,

D
Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lookahead, hope is all good with the results, sorry you have to wait for them..but it's good that you have had the scan !
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

I hope I didn't scare you
I feel much better now, but still under the supervision of the Liver Doctor!
I was on water tablets for a few months as the ascites came back, but as my liver began to function properly again, I was told I didn't need them anymore.
Well, cirrosis? Thats what I'm waiting to hear about. I was quite literally drinking myself to death... I stopped eating for the last few weeks... couldn't stomach it! I was severely malnutritioned. I was a skelly with a belly!
All my bloods are normal now, my ultrasound isn't 'bright' like it was when admitted to hospital. Liver doc said if he had my levels he would be happy. The ultrasound guy said that although he couldn't tell me any results, he would be happy if it was his liver that was as 'un-bright' as mine! Hmmm, I have spent many a minute over-analising these comments. I could spend night and day worrying about it, but I can't beat myself up... I poured the drink in didn't I!
As long as I feel ok and my levels are ok, thats all I can hope for.
On a good note... I never turned yellow, I didn't have delerium and I don't have varices in my stomach!
BTW, my mum was bloated quite often, although she didn't drink, she had a hiatus hernia. Irritable bowl syndrome can cause bloating too. Although ascites can come on fairly quickly, it generally doesn't just come and go, and from what I can remember, I didn't feel 'full up' with it. I can only say what my experiences were. As I type this I am feeling so thankful I don't drink anymore... phew!!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The liver is a funny organ. Abuse it and it can kill you. Take care of it and it can heal on it's own very quickly or I should say some what quickly. I hope the best for you. I had to friends with the same thing. One they drained and ended up ok. The other could not stop drinking even after she has tubes put it and walked around with 2 bags wrapped around her to drain fluids. Got caught for drunk driving even though she wa whell chair bound. Terrible desease. All my prayers to you.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Prayers for you. Keep us updated.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I had a scan (for gallstones) too once, and the same thing frustrated me. The people doing the 'scan' aren't allowed to tell you anything, regardless of what they see, they aren't doctors. I was a nervous wreck (even though I had quit drinking for a year or so beforehand.. I had never had my liver scanned and I was terrified there was irreversible damage). Let us know what happens, and do everything you can to stay healthy!